Damsels -getting closer to getting it right...

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited July 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
I went shooting today and shouldn't have -the light sucked! Very overcast -like just about to rain kinda overcast. The only good thing is I had a chance to experiment with the flash and learned that when I shoot damsels I have to turn the "B" flash off (MT-24). Too much reflection if I don't -lots of images went into the trash can...

79934914-M.jpg

79935209-M.jpg

79935466-M.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    I went shooting today and shouldn't have -the light sucked! Very overcast -like just about to rain kinda overcast. The only good thing is I had a chance to experiment with the flash and learned that when I shoot damsels I have to turn the "B" flash off (MT-24). Too much reflection if I don't -lots of images went into the trash can...

Hi there Dalantech....... I like the eyes on the Damsel Flies, and the brilliant colours they come in too, especially those Blue ones.

I know its hard to photograph them because they are so thin and have such tiny heads......also because they scare easily.

Thanks for sharing......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2006
    Great shots. I know what you mean about getting the light right. I've still got a lot to learn about lighting.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Dalantech....... I like the eyes on the Damsel Flies, and the brilliant colours they come in too, especially those Blue ones.

I know its hard to photograph them because they are so thin and have such tiny heads......also because they scare easily.

Thanks for sharing......... Skippy (Australia)

Depth of field is always a problem when shooting macro -but Damsels magnify it with those huge eyes!... umph.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited July 7, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Great shots. I know what you mean about getting the light right. I've still got a lot to learn about lighting.

Ditto...

I know what I need to do now -either shoot them in natural light without the flash (not easy cause they like to keep in the shadows) or use one flash head a little higher and diffuse the light. I've already ordered a Sto-Fen for my MT-24...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Excellent series,
    Looks like you are getting the light right. You are right about flash- you do need some sort of diffuser on the flash.
    Brian V.
    edited July 7, 2006
    Excellent series,
    Looks like you are getting the light right. You are right about flash- you do need some sort of diffuser on the flash.
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian!

I bought some index cards this morning (not lined on the back) and I have a rubber band in my pocket...
    My SmugMug Gallery