Todays Batch

gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
edited July 8, 2006 in Holy Macro
It was a little breezy today so I got frustrated and went home. I did get a couple I liked. Thanks for looking and critique is always welcome.

80053192-L.jpg

80052723-L.jpg

80052620-L.jpg

I liked this little guy but I'm not sure on the lighting.
80053039-L.jpg
Nick
SmugMug Technical Account Manager
Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
nickwphoto

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Isn't wind just a PITAumph.gif Don't know how you managed. That last little bug is really cool, neat colors, wish part of him wasn't in shade.

Nice shots!
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Like #1 and the 2 bugs- That leaf hopper must be the deck chair version judging by the colours:)
    Wind can be a problem but also an opportunity- I find bugs tend hunker down in high winds so they are much more approachable- I often end up taking pics one handed whilst holding the plant they are on- you can even manoevre the plant to give a better composition :)
    Brian V.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    It was a little breezy today so I got frustrated and went home. I did get a couple I liked. Thanks for looking and critique is always welcome.

I liked this little guy but I'm not sure on the lighting.

Hey there Nick :D your really getting into the Macro's hu thumb.gif
    Yep I find the same thing you do with the wind, it can be so dang annoying, even the slightest breeze when your trying so hard to be as still as you can in order to take the shot in the first place.

You did really well, love that flower, and your bugs..... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    Isn't wind just a PITAumph.gif Don't know how you managed. That last little bug is really cool, neat colors, wish part of him wasn't in shade.

Nice shots!
    Thanks for looking Thusie. I kind of like the lighting in that shot, but kind of don't. But it's the only shot I have of that little guy so I'm happy, at least until I can get a better shot of one.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited July 7, 2006
    Like #1 and the 2 bugs- That leaf hopper must be the deck chair version judging by the colours:)
    Wind can be a problem but also an opportunity- I find bugs tend hunker down in high winds so they are much more approachable- I often end up taking pics one handed whilst holding the plant they are on- you can even manoevre the plant to give a better composition :)
    Brian V.
    Thanks Brian. I actually tried holding the plants still with one hand but I couldn't hold the camera still enough to get focus. The 20D + 100 Macro + flash bracket + 580EX is a little to heavy for me to hold steady with one hand. I have noticed that some insects are more aproachable in the wind, especially dragonflys.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited July 7, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hey there Nick :D your really getting into the Macro's hu thumb.gif
    Yep I find the same thing you do with the wind, it can be so dang annoying, even the slightest breeze when your trying so hard to be as still as you can in order to take the shot in the first place.

You did really well, love that flower, and your bugs..... Skippy (Australia)
    Thanks Skippy. I'm getting pretty hooked on Macro lately. It seems to be the only thing I'm shooting lately.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Nick #1 and 2 for me very nice
    Probably missed this but whats your setup ?

Fred
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    And you went home??? So where is this wonderful place that gave
    you these beautiful pictures? I like that cool looking bug too. clap.gif
    edited July 8, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    Nick #1 and 2 for me very nice
    Probably missed this but whats your setup ?

Fred
    The setup on these shots was a 20D, 100 f/2.8 Macro, RRS B-85 Flash Arm (2nd version, not the newest one), RRS MPR CL II rail with clamp, 580EX, and Canon Off-Camera Shoe Cord 2. The whole set up looks something like this.

If you liked the second pic then you will probably like this one also. Taken with the 300 f/4 IS a couple months ago at the Brookfield Zoo.
    80256381-L.jpg

Thanks for looking Fred.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
    edited July 8, 2006
    boogie wrote:
    And you went home??? So where is this wonderful place that gave you these beautiful pictures? I like that cool looking bug too. clap.gif
    Thanks Boogie. Only me and the birders know where this place is. It's on the corner of two busy streets but no-one seems to notice it behind the trees. I can spend hours there with just the flowers, bugs, animals, and myself.
    Nick
    nickwphoto