A Girl and her Dog

icemaniceman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited July 8, 2006 in People
Just a quick shot, wish I would have got their feet but I thought it turned out ok. Anyone care to comment?

57194793-L.jpg
I was nothing more than an almost innocent bystander.

Comments

• OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    i like the simplicity and the genuine smile on her face... the dog's even paying attention so thats nice. the crispness of that day is very evident

the composition, however, is weak imo.
    the cutoff of the dog and girl's legs isnt working... even the dog's tail

i love the clear, blue sky and wouldnt want to lose it and if i were to retake the shot, i would step back quite a bit and do a simple square classic "square" framing like a medium format would.

for this particular pic, a tilt-crop would be a nice touch.

the more i think about it... i would absolutely love to do the square format and take double exposure from the same spot. One of the girl w/ the dog, and another a relatively long exposure to make the water silky smoothe.. then merge both in PS and do a sweet b/w conversion.
    i can just imagine it :oogle
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    iceman wrote:
    Anyone care to comment?
    Great shot - you've got a great image to start with. I've quickly straightened the horizon, recropped to de-emphasise the truncated legs and tighten things up, and brightened the shadows. Is this an improvement? Someone might suggest how the blown highlights can be dealt with.

80089402-L.jpg
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    I suggest only a recrop (as above) but using the shadow/highlight tool only washes out the photo. I enjoyed this photo at first glance! clap.gif

Owen
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    I really like the color in the photo... great that the sky isn't washed out which is what I always seem to end up with at the beach....

Agree with those above that cropping would help this..

As for cutting off feet... I thought that was my specialty! rolleyes1.gif
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • icemaniceman Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thanks
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks for all the input. When I was taking this photo it was just a quick shot, usually the dog and the daughter don't stand still long enough for a good shot.
    I was nothing more than an almost innocent bystander.

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Kids and dogs don't care about the rules of photography! You just have to grab those shots when you can and be greatful that you did!!! I like the crop. Since the feet are already gone, it sort of brings the 2 of them right up to the camera like they are checking out what you are doing! I rather like this shot, just for that reason. I think the shadow detail (in the 2nd shot) went too far and leaves the shot looking 'flat'. Perhaps somewhere in the middle...or not at all. I'm never too concerned about shadows....I never feel I have to see all of the detail, especially of something that doesn't really add to the shot. Yes, you were lucky to get some blue sky at the beach!!!