url question

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Just noticed today that clicking on my galleries from my homepage, the urls are now petespringer.smugmug.com/xxxxxxx.

They used to be www.petespringer.com/xxxxxxxx.

Did something get changed? Can I change it back? I'd prefer them to be www.petespringer.com/xxxxxxxx. I notice this is the way it still is on Andy's website, www.moonriverphotography.com.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    alright-- this is driving me nuts!
    I look at statcounter and some people (1 in 10) are viewing my site how I want them too (ie www.petespringer.com/gallery) but the majority are seeing it in the petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery view.

I've looked at several smugmug sites from other posts on dgrin, and they're all working properly (their urls come up when you click, not the smugmug.com url). I haven't changed settings on my site in the last week or added custom code, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I first noticed the problem this morning-- this wasn't happening last night.

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Thanks for hanging in there, Pete.

It should be your custom domain, and I'm checking into it.
    edited July 7, 2006
    thanks
    Andy:

Yeah, I saw on statcounter you checked it out-- and it wasn't working as a custom domain for you either. It's really weird-- and as I said, it was working fine last night (I checked stats in the evening around 10 p.m. PT) but then I noticed most people were going to the non-custom domain this morning, which is very unusual, so that's why I started this thread.

Anyone else having this problem?

edited July 7, 2006
    now it's working
    Well, not sure if someone changed something but I'm sure glad you witnessed this weird glitch personally, Andy. Now it's working fine (custom url for all my galleries again). Looking at Statcounter, it started working properly during the noon hour (PT), if that's any help to the tech folks.

Now I just need Mike to design me a t-shirt saying something like, "I survived the great custom url mix-up of 2006!" rolleyes1.gif

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Just noticed today that clicking on my galleries from my homepage, the urls are now petespringer.smugmug.com/xxxxxxx.
    How did you set this up? Even when I go to your page using your smugmug url all category links point to your custom domain. When people come through my smugmug address they won't be redirected to my domain when clicking any category links on my homepage. I can just redirect them if they use my navbar.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 7, 2006
    not quite
    My navbar points to my custom domain (and I have to remember this when I edit those galleries), but if you click on other stuff when you're at the user.smugmug.com location, it still goes to the user.smugmug.com galleries. Least it does for me...

edited July 7, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    My navbar points to my custom domain (and I have to remember this when I edit those galleries), but if you click on other stuff when you're at the user.smugmug.com location, it still goes to the user.smugmug.com galleries. Least it does for me...
    Weird, it's now the same for me, but before even your user.smugmug.com homepage had the categories linked to your domain. headscratch.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 8, 2006
    strange indeed
    Just checked my stats and for some reason the site reverted to the petespringer.smugmug.com for one person just clicking around this morning, and then switched back just as randomly to petespringer.com. Very strange. This was someone visiting from a forum so it's very unlikely they typed in the smugmug part on the title bar and then switched it back.

Something is definitely up... headscratch.gif

... but at least the site is working. thumb.gif

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    It's not strange, it's fixed deal.gif
    edited July 8, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Just checked my stats and for some reason the site reverted to the petespringer.smugmug.com for one person just clicking around this morning, and then switched back just as randomly to petespringer.com. Very strange. This was someone visiting from a forum so it's very unlikely they typed in the smugmug part on the title bar and then switched it back.
    Depending on what the visitor is clicking domain switching is explainable. For example you have your navbar links hardcoded to your domain - so everyone using the navbar is automaticly forwarded to your domain regardless of what address they were using before. This also can occur through other hardcoded links in e.g. gallery descriptions or captions.

On the other hand category links on the homepage switching between domains are not expainable for me, because to my knowledge you can't manipulate them without JavaScript (haven't seen such JS on your page) as they're dynamicly created by smugmug depending on which address a visitor surfs.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited July 9, 2006
    well-- not exactly fixed
    Andy wrote:
    It's not strange, it's fixed deal.gif

Andy:

Here's a screen grab from statcounter on my site yesterday afternoon. Notice how the user inexplicably goes from my custom url to the smugmug url. So it's still a little strange. I haven't noticed this today, though, so maybe you guys fixed something since this happened yesterday?

I'm not complaining and I'm glad the users can still see my photos-- just seems strange to me, that's all. I've never noticed this before. And it's not just the user clicking the 'breadcrumbs' to go back to the home page-- because when I try that, it still leads back to the custom url.
    63210669.jpg