...spraying on the sharpness.

KodachromeKodachrome Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
edited July 8, 2006 in Finishing School
...getting more into photoshop now that I have bought my first digital camera...probably some where on this board there is something on this but can't seem to find it...I will be on the mainland next week and will pickup a tutorial photoshop for dummies but for this weekend can I ask for a spot of help?

I understand and use the lasso to do some spot sharpening...but can I hook up the airbrush/spray icon so I could spray sharpness?

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 7, 2006
    Kodachrome wrote:

I understand and use the lasso to do some spot sharpening...but can I hook up the airbrush/spray icon so I could spray sharpness?
    Interesting idea, but as far as I know there's no direct way to do that. What you could do, though, is sharpen a duplicate layer then move it beneath the unsharpened image. You could then use the eraser tool to selectively reveal the bits you want sharpened. You can control both the flow and opacity on the eraser. Then flatten the image. Just a thought.

Cheers,
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Sharpness Spray: you sure can
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ...getting more into photoshop now that I have bought my first digital camera...probably some where on this board there is something on this but can't seem to find it...I will be on the mainland next week and will pickup a tutorial photoshop for dummies
    There is a whole lot of tutorials and articles on PS online.. Just google for it. NAPP membership also can help..
    Kodachrome wrote:
    ... but for this weekend can I ask for a spot of help?
    That's what we're here for :D
    Kodachrome wrote:
    You can spray, brush, whatever... All you have to do is:
    1. Create a new layer via copy (Ctrl+J), just make sure nothing is selected (press Ctrl+D to clear selection just in case)
    2. Sharpen it, maybe even overdo it.
    3. Click the mask button while holding ALT key. This will create a "black mask".
    4. If you have an older version of PS, make sure the mask, and not the layer itself, is selected
    5. Set foreground color to white (d,x combo always a nice way to do it)
    6. Start spraying, brushing, paintbucketing or gradienting your sharpness
    7. Adjust layer transparency to your taste..
    That's all, folks!

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • AardAard Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2006
    There are some actions from http://www.1clickactions.com that allow you to "paint on" localised sharpening. There are several versions LAB sharpening, luminosity sharpening etc. They are bundled with manyl other actions and are excellent value IMO.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I'd do what Nik suggests - sharpen a duplicate layer, make a mask, and paint back in the amount you want.

I'd do one thing differently from Nik's instructions. Rather than using the Layer Opacity to adjust how much sharpening I'm putting in, I'd instead adjust the Opacity of my brush. You get much more control that way, you can undo steps, and you can always make a layer opacity change at the end if you still feel the need.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:
    I'd do what Nik suggests - sharpen a duplicate layer, make a mask, and paint back in the amount you want.

I'd do one thing differently from Nik's instructions. Rather than using the Layer Opacity to adjust how much sharpening I'm putting in, I'd instead adjust the Opacity of my brush. You get much more control that way, you can undo steps, and you can always make a layer opacity change at the end if you still feel the need.

Thank you for pointing this out! thumb.gif
    I forgot to mention that many of these tools ususally have their own opacity/flow controls. ne_nau.gif
    I'm definitely with you on that, it was just my laziness when posting..rolleyes1.gif

The total layer opacity is used both as the very final step and as a quick check-up way to see if there is actually any difference:-) mwink.gif

I seem to prefer to slightly overdo any layer-based editing to leave some room for this final adjustment, but it's strictly my personal preference.. deal.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"