Options

5400 miles to Yosemite and back!! The Long Way!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 18, 2005
    Super shots PF thumb.gifthumb.gif

Geeze, Yosemite was only a small part of your US Tour. The other shots are really fine and those Zion shots got me ready to go again (as if I needed more motivation....lol).

I really enjoyed meeting your and your lovely wife clap.gif She spent some time with us Sun morning and she was just a joy to talk to. Hopefully, you'll be posting some of her shots too :):

I'll be looking for your bird pics over in N&W.

Steve

I have posted the bird images here Steve - http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11645 :):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    JubbaKingJubbaKing Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Great shots! Glad you stopped by at Kolob (and Vegas :) ). Did you hike the double arch alcove trail?
    Nate Grant: Living Legend
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2005
    mereimage wrote:
    Folks I've seen this and a few others printed ~13x19 on enhanced mat paper and they look terrific-Dgrin does not do them justice. He's not posted his best shots yet///.Mereimage

22062428-M.jpg

Mereimage asked me to post this image which I had showed to him in print form 12x15 inches on matte paper.

I continue to grow in my impression that images that look good on dgrin and images that look good in print are not always one and the same image. Not sure why this is the case quite yet..

22448632-L.jpg

• Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Enjoyed your travelogue, and it was a dandy pony pic!
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2005
    lynnesite wrote:
    Enjoyed your travelogue, and it was a dandy pony pic!

Thank you Lynn. Coming from you, I truly appreciate that statement. I thought of you when I was shooting that pony.

• Options
    iluvhimiluvhim Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I have to give Ed Hughes credit for that one :):

Long exposures of flowing water can be pretty cool iloveyou.gif Thanks for your kind words.
    Sorry it took so long for me to respond back I have a new job working with 2 1/2-3 year olds and I get to chase 13-14 of them around Monday through Friday so needless to say in my free time I haven't really been on the computer!!! But even your other pictures are wonderful...the mountains and scenery, I love the rainbow one also.
    So, would you mind telling me what you do for a living and how you got to that point?! I am very curious b/c I want to be a photographer. Please...feel free to have a look at my work and let me know what you think! I love advice, if I did good or bad! Thank you!
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2005
    Fern Spring
    Great shoots. Loved the Fern Spring picture!!

-Adam
    www.adamstravelphotography.com
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2006
    Looking at this brings back some memories.

I am glad I looked. Your image of the old truck near Death valley last years is the same truck I shot this year :)

71101871-S.jpg

I also shot the gas pump.

71144274-S.jpg

A guy from Indiana travela across a continent and photographs an old junk truck. A year later, a guy from Ohio travels across the same continent and photographs the same truck.

Makes you think huh.

Also, just so you all know, the roof of this old gas station is STILL being held up by that rotten pine 2 x 4.

Scary huh.
    22055081-S.jpg
  • Options
    STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Greetings,

Great photos! That looks like an awesome trip to be certain.

I have a question regarding this photo.
    22013150-L.jpg
    The fellow in the middle "appears" to be using some sort of viewfinder deflector or mirror (for lack of more accurate terminology) to prevent having to bend down as low to look through the camera. Can someone give more information about this accessory (like what it's called :D )? Do they make one for a Canon EOS 30D? Are there disadvantages to using one?

I came from a Canon Powershot IS S1 that had a flip out LCD that could pivot which virtually eliminated bending down to take shots. That aspect, I miss dearly.

Thanks for any information! Again, great shots! :):
    Michael
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:
    71144274-Ti.jpg

A guy from Indiana travela across a continent and photographs an old junk truck. A year later, a guy from Ohio travels across the same continent and photographs the same truck.

Makes you think huh.

Scary huh.

They didn't tell you that you entered the Twilight Zone as you entered California, did they, Brian??:D :D Need to Know Only!!

It is a cool old rust covered Chevy - I just found it hard to seperate from the timbers through and around it. I like your grill shot.

• Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    STLMach1 wrote:
    Greetings,

Great photos! That looks like an awesome trip to be certain.

I have a question regarding this photo.
    22013150-S.jpg
    The fellow in the middle "appears" to be using some sort of viewfinder deflector or mirror (for lack of more accurate terminology) to prevent having to bend down as low to look through the camera. Can someone give more information about this accessory (like what it's called :D )? Do they make one for a Canon EOS 30D? Are there disadvantages to using one?

I came from a Canon Powershot IS S1 that had a flip out LCD that could pivot which virtually eliminated bending down to take shots. That aspect, I miss dearly.

Thanks for any information! Again, great shots! :):
    Michael

What looks like an accessory is actually the nylon camera strap folded across the top of the camera to get it out of the way. I looked at the original image and you can see the from this crop - sorry to disappoint. The only real-time LCD that I know of is the Olympus E-330.

I have seen an ad or a story about a device that fits over the viewfinder and uses a Video camera chip to display an image on an LCD display but it was only a few hundered pixels on a side - not sure how well that will work in bright sunlight.

• Options
    STLMach1STLMach1 Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Hi Pathfinder,

Many thanks for the clarification. I didn't zoom in on the photo but after seeing your enlargement it's very clear now... I knew I had not heard of an accessory like the one I described but being new to D-SLR's I wasn't sure whether or not there might be something out there like that.

Thanks again for the clarification.

Michael
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    What a wonderful set of photos PF. Great trip; great memories eh?

I agree with mereimage, this shot is outstanding:

22448632-S.jpg

Erich
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    good gosh
    great stuff. really enjoyed ....i really do need to get out more... :cry maybe when kiddos get older....thumb.gif
  • Options
    grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Beautiful looking set of shots Pathfinder. You really know how to pull off a roadtrip!!
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    grimace wrote:
    Beautiful looking set of shots Pathfinder. You really know how to pull off a roadtrip!!

Whoah, talk about a thread bump! I was a bit confused before I looked at the dates, but then again Pathfinder and Nightingale going on an epic road trip isn't exactly surprising. (jealous!) lol3.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Whoah, talk about a thread bump! I was a bit confused before I looked at the dates, but then again Pathfinder and Nightingale going on an epic road trip isn't exactly surprising. (jealous!) lol3.gif
    Adam is having a flashback. He previously responded to this post himself in 2005 here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=339593&postcount=38rolleyes1.gif

I'm glad he did though because I can't recall having seen this one. Looks like a great trip, Pathfinder! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 12, 2009
    I think Adam has memory issuesrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the memories, guysthumb.gif

I have re-edited a few frames from then

394317526_p4pPq-L.jpg

This mural in Winslow Az is no longer there - it was torn down over the last few years.

60308651_K5WV2-L.jpg