Another attempt B&W

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in People
Here is my second attempt at a bw conversion. I don't have a good eye for it yet. They are pictures of my youngest daughter at the playground. C&C welcome on the conversions and the photos.

80243376-L.jpg

80248669-L.jpg

Comments

• binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    the first one is just ok, but the second picture is fantastic. clap.gif
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Both of those are cool but no 2 is a cracker.

Cheers

HarjTT

:Dthumb.gif
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Both of these look very good to me. Your eye is pretty good.

Sam
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Both conversions are very good. The second one pops more because there are more high key contrast areas, plus she is leaning into the light more producing highlights in her hair and on her face. I think you've got it!!! thumb.gif
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. It really helps. I wasn't sure if I got it right or not. I used some of what I learned from the comments on my first b&w post as well as what I learned from some of the tutorials here. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    neat photos-

as all have said, so do I; the second one is the best-

good comp, good conversion-

take it and experiment with curves for brightness and contrast-

try some different tones-

good job!-
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Love that second one! What were the specs of that shot by chance?
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    i like the second one best... childhood innocence.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited July 11, 2006
    Thanks George. I will play with it some more.

Thanks Bryan. Here is the exif data. I hope that is what you were referring to by specs. I'm new to this, so I don't know all the terminology. It was taken at: 1/320 sec, f/5.0, ISO 200, 80mm and no fill flash. I usually use fill flash, but experimented going without it, since it was an overcast day.

Thank you Jamie. I appreciate your comments.
  • PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks George. I will play with it some more.

Thanks Bryan. Here is the exif data. I hope that is what you were referring to by specs. I'm new to this, so I don't know all the terminology. It was taken at: 1/320 sec, f/5.0, ISO 200, 80mm and no fill flash. I usually use fill flash, but experimented going without it, since it was an overcast day.

Thank you Jamie. I appreciate your comments.

Wow! The natural light you achieved without the need for fill flash at ISO 200 is amazing. Am I right to assume you did not handhold for that shot? If you did, I must say, you did a great job of keeping the image shake completely out of your subject. thumb.gif
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
    edited July 12, 2006
    Pezpix wrote:
    Wow! The natural light you achieved without the need for fill flash at ISO 200 is amazing. Am I right to assume you did not handhold for that shot? If you did, I must say, you did a great job of keeping the image shake completely out of your subject. thumb.gif

I was not using a tripod. It was overcast, but still fairly bright, if I remember correctly. I was using an Image Stabilized lens and the shutter was 1/320 of a second.

She was playing at the playground and it was hard to get her to hold still long enough for any shots, much less give me the time to set up a tripod. I had to bribe her by saying we would go out for ice cream afterwords, if she would let me get some pictures of her.