Shootin from the Hip...

athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in People
and other spontaneous portraits.

i enjoy this type of photography, and have to explore it in nearby NYC soon again. these shots are all from a school trip to china.

First shot was actually shot from the hip, taken in shanghai china. I was walking around a marketplace, and went down a quieter street where there was virtually no tourists, and I spotted this fellow just up ahead that had a lot of character in his face. Since I was the only one walking around there, if i put the camera to my face, he would have not acted naturally - no hiding in crowds and distractions - and as it turns out, he had a suprise in store for me. I had my 17-85 on at 17mm, so as I passed him i just pressed the shutter once. I was in Av mode i think, partial metering. Right before I walked by he raised his arms up and started shouting at me in chinese.

Thus the capture as he is, hands up and yelling, shot from the hip and my side. I should probably PP it a bit more to get rid of some of the harsh contrast, but it was the about 2:30pm with harsh light.

The Curse?
73405957-L.jpg

These two shots were shot in the Forbidden City, Beijing. Both were quick to the draw shots with a 50mm f1.8. again in av mode and partial metering. which is how i usually walk around configured for street shooting.

An Innocent Stare
73405370-M.jpg

First Bow
73405941-M.jpg

these two boys were on the outskirts of beijing. i saw them riding their bike from the tour bus as we pulled up. had my zoomer on, so figured id take a look and see what they were up to the second i hopped out. dunno what they were laughing at, but at 240mm range away, got one shot that i liked. early afternoon light.

73462639-M-1.jpg

these two girls were also at that same spot.

i call this one fondly "A small caring glance" . the sun was bright early afternoon, and the white things are some pollen that was flying around in large quantites.

73729778-L.jpg

this was a little less spontaneous than the rest. saw these people from up above in the forbidden city. i just had to wait until i had a brief moment with nobody walking inthe frame i wanted.

Waiting for a Ride

73406027-M-1.jpg
www.simplyathos.com

Gear
*Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
*Imagination

Comments