79133494-L-1.jpg

79139492-L.jpg

79211736-L.jpg

79244177-L.jpg

79249638-L.jpg

79250100-L.jpg

79257129-L.jpg

79260468-L.jpg

I'm trying to learn here, so as always comments and criticism are welcome. Conditions were not ideal, with 95 degree temps and very harsh sunlight.
Tim

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    I'm trying to learn here, so as always comments and criticism are welcome.

When you're asking for C&C it's best to add the exif info.

Several of your shots are a bit OOF, and I can't tell if it was the aperature, the shutter speed, or if it was related to your focusing or panning.

I know some will tell you to get "face" shots instead of butt shots, and I would agree, when it's possible..:D

Not a terrible effort, the composition on them are pretty good to me.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Several of your shots are a bit OOF, and I can't tell if it was the aperature, the shutter speed, or if it was related to your focusing or panning.

Mostly panning, I think, although I do try to use as slow a shutter speed that I can get away with. In these instances I never dropped below 1/500, which should have been sufficient. I need to practice panning more.
    I know some will tell you to get "face" shots instead of butt shots, and I would agree, when it's possible..:D

I know (and agree) but I like to try different angles sometimes.
    Not a terrible effort, the composition on them are pretty good to me.

Not terrible. That's something, I guess.
    Tim
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Not terrible. That's something, I guess.

Okay maybe "not terrible" was a terrible choice of wording......eek7.gif

I thought the colors were good too, despite what you said about it being harsh lighting.

I'd try a faster shutter, with the panning, because I'm sure they are going fast enough to keep the back ground blurred...or try picking up the rider sooner start focusing earlier, and remember to follow through after you stop shooting.

Keep shooting!!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Nice work, Mr, Mushy!

I like your first shot a lot, even tho the bike is hideously ugly. naughty.gif An improvement might be to have more activity in the track bit to the right, the location of the bikes doesn't feel quite balanced. But a very nice shot.

I think 2, 6 and 8 could be strengthened a lot with some cropping. Unfortunately, neither machine is sharp in 8.

And ponytail girl is hot (it is a girl, isn't it? :uhoh )
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'll go a bit further than that and ask what your intentions are. From a brief two years of selling photos to amateur racers I've learned that there are shots that people buy, and there are shots that photographers love to take and love to see. They are often times different critters. Surprisingly often the shots "we" find boring are the ones that sell, and the ones "we" find exciting are the ones racers don't bother buying.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
    edited July 8, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Okay maybe "not terrible" was a terrible choice of wording......eek7.gif

I thought the colors were good too, despite what you said about it being harsh lighting.

I'd try a faster shutter, with the panning, because I'm sure they are going fast enough to keep the back ground blurred...or try picking up the rider sooner start focusing earlier, and remember to follow through after you stop shooting.

Keep shooting!

Thanks. Re: panning, I'm not concerned about a sufficiently blurred background. That's easy to get. What I'm interested in is blurred wheels and the sense the motion they give. Too fast a shutter speed and you can begin to count wheel spokes--bad news in my book. Of course this means my panning has to be damn good, or I'll be throwing a bunch of images away. None of these are sharp enough for my tastes.
    Tim
    edited July 8, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice work, Mr, Mushy!

I like your first shot a lot, even tho the bike is hideously ugly. naughty.gif An improvement might be to have more activity in the track bit to the right, the location of the bikes doesn't feel quite balanced. But a very nice shot.

I think 2, 6 and 8 could be strengthened a lot with some cropping. Unfortunately, neither machine is sharp in 8.

And ponytail girl is hot (it is a girl, isn't it? :uhoh )

Thanks, Sid. Yes, it's a girl. :D

I'm gonna go crop the ones you mentioned . . .
    Tim
    edited July 9, 2006
    I'm gonna go crop the ones you mentioned . . .

Quickie recrops . . .

80481406-L-1.jpg

80481434-L-1.jpg

80481580-L-1.jpg
    Tim
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    thumb.gif I think they're much stronger.

Hey, if you happen to have Photoshop, you might try this technique to get a little more sharpness.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DaddioDaddio Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Thanks for sharing these. I need to get out to Summit Point again sometime soon.

These do look a little soft to me...the action shots anyway. That BMW looks pretty dang cool! I'd like to see a shot of that one on the track.
    edited July 10, 2006
    Daddio wrote:
    Thanks for sharing these. I need to get out to Summit Point again sometime soon.

These do look a little soft to me...the action shots anyway. That BMW looks pretty dang cool! I'd like to see a shot of that one on the track.

The action shots are indeed soft. Not one of my finer outings.

I don't have any action shots of the K1200R. Prior to my arrival at the track it suffered a "crankcase venting" problem. :uhoh

79140140-L.jpg

79134998-L.jpg
    Tim