Disposal of old camera battries

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 9, 2006 in Cameras
I am an avid collector of older style cameras. I have quite a nice collection but today I ran into an issue I have not run into before.

I picked up an older Kodak range finder and it contained two very old possibly leaking batteries. I am suspecting these batteries are mercury as everything around them has been melted away (and sadly this ruins most of the camera).

Does anyone have any suggestions on proper dispoal of thes two potentialy poisonious batteries? I've googled but most of what I have found is just how to recycle batteries and I have to say these two are well past that stage.
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Most cities have a hazardous waste disposal agency/department to which you can refer these sorts of questions. At the very least, cities have the HAZMAT response teams. They can advise you of the best method to care for these items. So, I would look for one or both of these in the phone book.
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    thanks. Its sunday and here everything is closed on sundays so will call Monday. right now they are sealed in a nice little baggy.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    mrlarter wrote:
    thanks. Its sunday and here everything is closed on sundays so will call Monday. right now they are sealed in a nice little baggy.

I doubt that'll keep them in. Make sure to put it in a metal box of some kind. A cookie tin?
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Many Counties have HHW, or Household Hazardous Waste facilities. They take paint, darkroom checmicals and motor oil as well. There is usually no charge for home users. In my County they are under the Fire Department.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    They should be listed under enviromental waste contol or some such heading....Enviromental Protection (that is federal I think)......

Good luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I doubt that'll keep them in. Make sure to put it in a metal box of some kind. A cookie tin?

your right the bag sort of melted to the cardbour they where sitting on. into a metal box they go. No fumes or anything just anoying melty stuff.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0