Options

Portrait of a bird..

MainFraggerMainFragger Registered Users Posts: 563 Major grins
edited December 16, 2004 in Wildlife
I am not the biggest fan of black and white, but I found that no matter how I adjusted this picture when it was in color, I just wasn't satisfied with it. This is one of those rare occasions that I actually chose to go B&W.

Comments

• Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2004
    Good call on the B&W. I wish the bird was looking into the frame instead of off-frame. It would help solidify the composition for me personally. Great shot though. I can't even get close enough to birds to do this. Unless I actually toss my 50mm at 'em.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    edited November 15, 2004
    Zoooooom!
    Good call on the B&W. I wish the bird was looking into the frame instead of off-frame. It would help solidify the composition for me personally. Great shot though. I can't even get close enough to birds to do this. Unless I actually toss my 50mm at 'em.
    I have a 12x optical zoom (72mm equivalent to 420mm on a 35mm camera), and this picture is actually cropped a bit. In about a 35 min. period, I took close to 300 photos. A lot of that was trying to get shots of birds circling in the sky, or coming in for a landing and using burst, though.

MainFragger
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    Another bird portrait...
    I'm not sure if this is a hawk or falcon..But I've been looking for Hawks all summer..So I'm gonna call it a Hawk!
  • Options
    edited November 17, 2004
    here is the profile...
    of my HAWK!
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2004
    it looks like a
    oh yea hawk
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    FLEMING7155FLEMING7155 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2004
    I am not the biggest fan of black and white, but I found that no matter how I adjusted this picture when it was in color, I just wasn't satisfied with it. This is one of those rare occasions that I actually chose to go B&W.
    GREAT PICTURE WHAT TYPE OF GEAR ARE YOU USING?
    bowdown.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    i like birds too...they present quite a challenge.

2620805-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    Wow fish, that shot is nice and sharp. I assume because of his body position he looks funny. Like his back half is missing... Thats what grabbed me.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Wow fish, that shot is nice and sharp. I assume because of his body position he looks funny. Like his back half is missing... Thats what grabbed me.
    rolleyes1.gifI didn't notice that... rolleyes1.gif

Is this better?

2620808-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2004
    It's very good, and it's nice to see it is not some kind of mutant
    :D
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 16, 2004
    MF,

Good job on the gull. You don't lose much going with B&W, since they are pretty much B&W to begin with. I think the B&W treatment in your shot makes him stand out more from the BG. I like the hawk/falcon shot too thumb.gif

Fish,
    That's a really sharp bluebird clap.gif I didn't noticed he was missing his rear end until Greaper pointed it out :lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2004
    Gear...
    GREAT PICTURE WHAT TYPE OF GEAR ARE YOU USING?
    bowdown.gif
    Just a Panasonic DMC-FZ10. Then I cropped and greyscaled it in Jasc. :D