Options

Critiquing the experts

JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in Technique
What if the average internet user critiqued famous photographers?
http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

(found link on a local camera club website)

Jamie

Comments

• Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    whipping post take note
    this should be put as a sticky in the whipping post!

not that i post there anymore...betteradvise forthcoming in the other parts of dgrin.

the harshest critic should be yourself.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    this should be put as a sticky in the whipping post!

not that i post there anymore...betteradvise forthcoming in the other parts of dgrin.

the harshest critic should be yourself.
    Thanks... glad someone besides myself got a kick out of this one.

Jamie
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    I loved it.

I loved some of the comments in the blog by folks who had read the article also.

I must admit though, that sometimes, I see images from big names and wonder if the shot would have ever been published if it had been created by an amateur. Rarely, but sometimes.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited July 9, 2006
    That was funny.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I loved it.
    ...I must admit though, that sometimes, I see images from big names and wonder if the shot would have ever been published if it had been proffered by an amatuer. Rarely, but sometimes.
    :Dthumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,006 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    this was goodthumb.gif and yep in art sometimes it is who you know not what you do umph.gif nepotisms is the movies rolleyes1.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Get dirty to get ahead
    It's interesting, the more I learn, the more I am realizing that "imperfection" in photos is a crucial element that many beginners look to eliminate at all cost.

I think about the singers that I really enjoy, and many of them have imperfect pronunciation, a gravely voice, etc. And it is those features that elevate them. Giving someone what they don't expect in a pleasing way adds novelty that many crave.

There are many areas that use use imperfection to artistic ends. Look at the warm color cast of many commercials that sell food, in movies, and tv shows. Notice when it is used. Notice the mood they try to convey with color casts. It is very interesting when one becomes aware of it.

Focus, composition, grain, all these "distractions" add to a photo when used with a purpose. Atmosphere and mood are hard to convey with "perfect" techniques (a la white balance, focus, etc). Like a kid playing in a mud puddle, sometimes you have to get dirty before you can make progress mwink.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Now that is funny!

I haven't enjoyed a link so much in a long time! Thanks for sharing!

ginger

(And of course we dGrinners would never be "guilty" of such critiques, :): )
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.