Options

CD Player Noise

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited February 4, 2004 in The Big Picture
So I'm sitting at my new PC with screaming fast everything and I finally get around to playing a CD. It was one of my favorite things to do on my old computer. So I pop it in and hit play. And the CD player makes a massive amount of noise. Noise that persists for as long as the CD was playing.

What gives? The old machine didn't do that. I seem to remember reading about faster CD players/recorders spinning at a uselessly fast rate. Is that what's going on? If so, I think a favorite activity has been claimed by the advance of technology. :bash :noob
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2004
    Why not put technology to work for you?

Go download itunes.

They have both a mac and pc version. It is free to download. If the pc version works the same as the mac, you will be able to import you cd's and create an MP3 library on your computer, then you can play your songs all you want with not need to put in a disk. You can also create playlists of your favorite songs. It also has an internet radio feature that works well, especially now that you have high speed access. They have a large variety of stations to choose from. This might solve your frustrations for free.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    That's an excellent idea. Will I notice any degradation of the audio quality as it converts to MP3? Or is my current delivery system so poor anyway that it makes no difference?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That's an excellent idea. Will I notice any degradation of the audio quality as it converts to MP3? Or is my current delivery system so poor anyway that it makes no difference?

There should be an AAC format or something similar that will give very good quality and not take up too much space. It should ask when you set it up what quality you want to import at. It should sound fine, just depends on what speakers you have it connected too. I have been very impressed with the quality, even when I hook it up to my larger stereo. Time for you to get an ipod. nod.gif You will want something to back up all those future digital files too, may as well pick up a laptop too. deal.gif While you are at it can you pick me up a 500mm/f4.0 IS lens? I could really use it if I see some moose on my trip. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    Someday when I'm rich you can be my personal shopper. You were born to buy. I don't know of anyone with a longer list of goodies than you. blbl.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Someday when I'm rich you can be my personal shopper. You were born to buy. I don't know of anyone with a longer list of goodies than you. blbl.gif

Let me know when those lottery numbers come through for you. I have plenty to spend it on. deal.gif

For moving all those new cameras you will have might I suggest one of these. You know it comes with a trailer and a GS for remote exploration. :D
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    Did you get itunes running?
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    Looks like a good wind would blow that thing over. :hung

No, I went out shooting last night, then installed ACDSee 6 and struggled with Photoshop. All my base are belong to underexpose. Shame, I ruined a terrific opportunity to really nail that sunset shot over downtown with the traffic trails.
    Sid.