Strawberry Pie

camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in People
A frame from yesterday's shoot for my 2007 book, which is (seriously!) a cookbook. Real recipes, but each preparation step is modeled in a very Playboy style. This is one of the final frames from the recipe for Strawberry Pie. Not worksafe, of course.

http://journalpix.com/CB-J-0547-S.photo

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    To my mind, that is one of your better shots. I love the humor. However, I wonder abou the glass in front of the pie. Seems to be a serious distractor.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    :oogle And how is one supposed to use this cookbook and actually not ruin the item your trying to cook with a distraction like that....eek7.gif

nice pic tho..good taste and I haven't seen STRAWBERRIES :jawdrop like that in years..those are beautiful thumb.gif ...real or fake?
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    That is one heck
    of a great shot of strawberries. I have never seen them presented like that. The composition is simply incredible. rolleyes1.gif
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    The strawberries are 100% real.

I grew up in Santa Maria, California (and went to college a half-hour north in San Luis Obispo). They grow strawberries on the central coast. They're huge, and incredibly sweet.

My parents still live there, so I called my dad and asked him to get me three flats, pack them in dry ice, and ship 'em up FedEx. About 40% of them arrived in perfect condition, so we used the bruised ones to make the sauce (and a huge batch of strawberry smoothies) and the good ones for the pie top.

If I can get the rest of the shoots done before the end of the year, the book will be released in early 2007 :D
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    jeez, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I noticed anything else in the image...but is there something going on with the edge of her left forearm and the background cabinet?
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited July 10, 2006
    jeez, I'm almost embarrassed to admit I noticed anything else in the image...but is there something going on with the edge of her left forearm and the background cabinet?

Nothing to be embarrassed about - that's part of the goal of a glamour nude, and the model is seriously attractive (and a complete sweetheart, too). I'm not sure I see anything arm/background - can you be more specific?
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    John Fogarty once did a song called "Rhubarb Pie"....I don't think this is
    what he had in mind but I bet it would work too :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Excellent photo! Can't wait for the cookbook ...

There's a slight glow on the top of her left forearm, like you get when you do gaussian blur for the whole frame, then map the model back into focus, but miss a spot. I'm guessing that's what he noticed.
    edited July 10, 2006
    Scarhart wrote:
    Excellent photo! Can't wait for the cookbook ...

There's a slight glow on the top of her left forearm, like you get when you do gaussian blur for the whole frame, then map the model back into focus, but miss a spot. I'm guessing that's what he noticed.

I'll have to look closely - the only photoshop work on the frame is the vignette. I seriously detest "glamour layers" for skin. If the combination of my lighting and the makeup artist can't get the skin right, we're not doing our jobs.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Another really nice one Chris! She is a doll! I do agree with the glass being a little distracting, I like it in the foreground, but not in the middle of the pie.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Nothing to be embarrassed about - that's part of the goal of a glamour nude, and the model is seriously attractive (and a complete sweetheart, too). I'm not sure I see anything arm/background - can you be more specific?
    From what I can tell, I think he's referring to the beveled cabinet that is directly behind her forearm in the shot. It happens to be at the same angle as her arm and due to the light change on the wood (caused by the bevel + where the light was coming from), it looks like a bright blurry smudge behind her arm, especially because her arms goes smoothly from highlight to shadow and sharply back to the highlight on the cabinet.

In the grand scheme of things, it's hardly noticable.
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    okay i think im the only female replying.. Im not sure I agree with the idea of this cookbook.. but thats besides the point, the glass is distracting, and if this is for a cookbook, maybe,just maybe the food should be a little bit more of the focus? good photo i guess.. i'll be honest and it think its kind of degrading. Oh well. i suppose thats not the point.. anyway, get rid of the glass and the cabinet\forearm problem and you're good to go.jamie.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited July 11, 2006
    okay i think im the only female replying.. Im not sure I agree with the idea of this cookbook.. but thats besides the point, the glass is distracting, and if this is for a cookbook, maybe,just maybe the food should be a little bit more of the focus? good photo i guess.. i'll be honest and it think its kind of degrading. Oh well. i suppose thats not the point.. anyway, get rid of the glass and the cabinet\forearm problem and you're good to go.jamie.

Well, I respect that you hold that opinion - may I presume that you also find Playboy and Maxim to be degrading to women, even though the women choose to pose of their own free will?

I've already taken the glass out :-)
  • XtopherousXtopherous Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    cambler wrote:
    Well, I respect that you hold that opinion - may I presume that you also find Playboy and Maxim to be degrading to women, even though the women choose to pose of their own free will?

I've already taken the glass out :-)
    What she doesn't see is the OOF guy pointing a gun at the woman.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 11, 2006
    Xtopherous wrote:
    What she doesn't see is the OOF guy pointing a gun at the woman.

Huh? ne_nau.gif Please explain.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited July 11, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Huh? ne_nau.gif Please explain.

I believe he's alluding to the oft-quoted, "well, nobody was holding a gun to her head, making her pose for this..."
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I'm not sure that we have to hold can'tfeelmyfingers at fault for her feelings about this shot. And I also would hope that more women would feel that they could comment positively or negatively on the image. No need to run them off.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I've checked out some of your work, and liked some more than others. This one strikes me as an attractive naked women, holding a pie....nothing more, nothing less.....but then again maybe that's the point....ne_nau.gif:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited July 11, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I've checked out some of your work, and liked some more than others. This one strikes me as an attractive naked women, holding a pie....nothing more, nothing less.....but then again maybe that's the point....ne_nau.gif:D

That's exactly the point. It's the final frame in a 10-frame series illustrating how to prepare the pie, done in nudes. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Got any frying chicken or cooking bacon? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Got any frying chicken or cooking bacon? lol3.gif

no...

grilling....iloveyou.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited July 12, 2006
    That's funny... I was actually talking with one of the models for an upcoming set, and I suggested that we change it and do Mexican food, including frying up chili peppers. She turned white at the suggestion - it took all my self-control to keep a straight face for as long as I did.