Options

Canon 75-300mm F4-5.6 AF III

fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in Accessories
Any toughts, i could buy one used for around 160 usd. anyone has it?

Comments

• Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    before buying anything, be it a laptop, camera, lens, mp3 player, cell phone, whatever - I REASEARCH RESEARCH and do some more RESEARCH on it. According to a lot of sites, that 75-300 lens is not that great...merely mediocre. here, read this review before making your decision: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-75-300mm-f-4-5.6-III-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

also, maybe you could spend a bit more and get the 70-200? review here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

granted that one is....a few (hundred) more expensive...but hey, it's "Canon's best value "L" Lens combining professional grade build and optical qualities."

I've been spending a lot ime researching lenses lately because I'm about to delve into SLR world and am about to buy a few lenses myself. I've decided to get the 70-200 because of the amazing reviews and the great image quality it seems to give. it's on of the recommended lens for portraits...

okay, well, I hope that helps, but let me tell you, if I've learned anything from my research, in MOST cases....$=quality...infortunately that seems to be VERY true.

Let me know what your decision is!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    It really depends on what you want to do with it, how you plan to use it, and what you are expecting.

If you want some extra range for a few shots of the kids in sports, and your DSLR is used mostly on Automatic mode, I suspect this lens will suit you fine.

But, if you are like most of us here, and you want critically sharp photos and your camera spends more time in manual or Aperture priority mode, then you likely will want to look at either the Canon 70-300 IS USM or the 70-200 f4L lens.
  • Options
    fraincsfraincs Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    thanks will wait and raise more money in order to get the L serie I was aiming at. :):