The butterfly house

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited July 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
Last weekend I had the chance to go to The Butterfly House

I had been there as part of a large group, but this was my first chance to visit on my own. I was sitting in their parking lot when they opened at 10 AM. I hoped for the chance to shoot for a while before there were many people.

78874766-L.jpg

I did manage to shoot for quite a while before any other people came in. Shooting butterflies is still hard even though this is a target rich environment.

78871876-L.jpg

Watching some of the younger kids look at the butterflies in amazement is a treat in it's self. There are so many butterflies everywhere that you never run out of subjects, you pretty much leave when your cards are full.

78892248-L.jpg

The one thing I know for sure, I will have to make another trip out there this summer, for the fun of it.

78889517-L.jpg

I hope you enjoyed looking.

Brian

Comments

• ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Great stuff Brian thumb.gif I really like the 1st one
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I like them all! Great shots especiality #1. thumb.gif

Thanks for the link. Next time I'm in that area I'll be sure to visit.
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    I like the last one the best. It has to do with contrast between the black of the butterfly, espeically those round eyes, and the red of the flower I guess. Good stuff. May I ask what lens you use?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2006
    Nice, Greaper, real nice.

I go to a butterfly house, too. It is on the plantation that I really go to for birds. There is so much there, I don't always get to the birds.

I love the focus you got. That is my main challenge.......and where I go is smallish, and I am often there alone.

I don't really "do" butterflys, but I did buy a macro (Canon 100mm) lens for those times I had needed it in the past........and one thing I wanted to do was butterflys.

Since I have spent a few hours shooting these beautiful creatures, too, I know that just because they are there does not mean they are easy. In fact, I can miss the focus when they are completely still, so I shoot many of the same butterfly in order to get one. It is just that little movement that can throw my target DOF field off.

Good gets and I love the last one!

ginger

You might want to look at what I got one day. A volunteer was there when I went in. She said "do you want to see......................" and this is what I saw. I am sure she was excited to share.

http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/gallery/1634349/1/79731215

My focus might not be as good as yours, I am working on it. I would be curious, too, as to what lens you are using.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    That last shot does it for me as well -simply stunning! thumb.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    GREAPER wrote:
    Last weekend I had the chance to go to The Butterfly House

The one thing I know for sure, I will have to make another trip out there this summer, for the fun of it.

I hope you enjoyed looking............. Brian

Very nice Brian, I did the same thing last time I went to the Butterfly house at Melbourne Zoo, you need to get in there before the little monsters do rolleyes1.gif

You work up a sweat in there too don't ya, it's so dang hot in those Butterfly Houses......but the reward of capturing beautiful pictures of such delicate beauties is worth the trouble nod.gif very nice post Brian..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    clap.gifclap.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

Amaizng fantastic world class really loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Thanks for the ooohs and aaahhhs. Im glad you all enjoyed them.