There must have been something...

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited July 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
...in the air at Lago d'Averno cause I found mating pairs of damsels and dragons. I posted another thread on the damsels in the wildlife forum, so I'll use different photos for this one. First up is the damsels. Shutter priority 1/250 (lots of wind) and a -1 exposure bias set on the camera. MT-24 flash diffused and set to an 8:1 ratio with a -2 2/3 stop exposure bias. Minimal post processing and no cropping -I just let the light and the aperture paint the background...

80520621-M.jpg

The next pair are Black Tailed Skimmers (pretty common at the lake where I shoot). The wind was so bad that her wings were acting like a sail -seconds after I took this shot the wind caught them and I was walking back to the car...

80546242-M.jpg

C&C always welcome. FYI: In the damsel shot the male is on the left, and in the dragon shot the male is on the right.
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    ...in the air at Lago d'Averno cause I found mating pairs of damsels and dragons. I posted another thread on the damsels in the wildlife forum, so I'll use different photos for this one.

C&C always welcome. FYI: In the damsel shot the male is on the left, and in the dragon shot the male is on the right.

Hi Dalantech........ the two Dragonflies look like a pair of kids wrestling don't they rolleyes1.gif I found those tiny Damzels were much easier to get close to than the Dragonflies when I was in USA, but the Damzels are so tiny and thin, making them difficult to photograph too.........can't win can we ne_nau.gif
    Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Dalantech........ the two Dragonflies look like a pair of kids wrestling don't they rolleyes1.gif I found those tiny Damzels were much easier to get close to than the Dragonflies when I was in USA, but the Damzels are so tiny and thin, making them difficult to photograph too.........can't win can we ne_nau.gif
    Skippy (Australia)

Nope, can't win at all!! The thin section of the damselflies tail is only about a millimeter and a half thick (for those of you who are metric impaired a millimeter is about the thickness of a U.S. dime). Add wind to the mix and I took over 100 frames of them and kept less than 20...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    The colors in the first shot are great, nice image.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    The colors in the first shot are great, nice image.

Thanks for the props! :):

That shot is the end result of about a weeks worth of experimenting...
    My SmugMug Gallery