50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus lens

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 11, 2006 in Cameras
So I am in the middle of buying a Canon 30D and the sell has sprung on me the need to sell a 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus lens with the camera. This would be fine but I already own a 50mm 1.8.

Do I really need a 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus lens when I already have one at that size? I realize the 50mm f/1.4 USM Autofocus lens is a better lens but is it really worth the extra cost?

Also I've been reading in a few places about issues with this lens and the Canon 30D. anyone experiencing something like that?
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    If you have the 1.8 and you like it, then why switch. I could see doing it if you really needed the extra low aperture for low light or for isolating a subject. I could also see doing it because the 8 blade shutter on the 1.4 yields better bokeh than the 6 blade shutter on the 1.8. But unless you need either of those things, or really want them, then the $300 could be better spent.

You could put it toward some L lenses that you might want later (assuming you cannot afford them now), or you could buy the 35 f/2 or the 85 f/1.8, both of which have excellent reputations for "inferior" non-L lenses. Another possibility is the Sigma 30mm.

Hope this helps,

Duffy
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Brian,
    From your post, it seems you are about to purchase a 30D and the "sell" (seller?) is offering you a 50mm f/1.4 as part of the deal?

If so, how much is he\she offering you the lens for? That's really the bottom line.

If the deal is reasonable it would be a nice upgrade. I've had both and the difference between the two is enough that I would go for it.

Hope this helps,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...