Options

Which printer?

rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited July 11, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
I'm looking at buying a 4X6 dyesub printer and have narrowed it down to the Canon Selphy 510 and Epson PictureMate. Has anyone had any experience with these? Let me know what you think. (BTW, this will be a backup, I already have a Canon S9000 for big prints.)
Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Selphy is great! Photos are very high quality, and smudgeproof. I compared to the Epson, and couldn't really see a difference in print quality. Epson is ink-jet btw, while Canon is dye sub. I picked Selphy because it is tiny, and compact enough to pack in my camera bag. The Epson is a bit bulkier, with a big handle, and would not fit in my bag.

The only drawback of the Canon is that thte 4x6 paper for Canon has a postcard backing, so that is a bit odd vs std photo paper. I think the Epson looked like regular photo paper on the back. Otherwise, they are indistinguishable.
  • Options
    rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Thanks for the imput, cmason.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    rjpat wrote:
    I'm looking at buying a 4X6 dyesub printer and have narrowed it down to the Canon Selphy 510 and Epson PictureMate. Has anyone had any experience with these? Let me know what you think. (BTW, this will be a backup, I already have a Canon S9000 for big prints.)
    I don't have any experience with either, but I usually vote for Epson printers because of the large variety of papers Espon has available. For example, the Picture Mate has both glossy and matte papers available, which may or may not be a big deal for you. I routinely use their double-sided matte on my R220.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I still have my PictureMate from when they first came out and were $350(Ouch!). It is still running strong. I have not used the canon but I have compared my Epson to prints from a 1 hour photo and I liked mine a lot better. One of the only drawbacks is that if you do not use it regularly the print heads dry up and you have to run print head clean up which wastes ink. But overall I still enjoy mine, now I just have to win the lotto so I can get a 4800.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto