Smugmug Printing Work Flow

ZososZosos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited July 10, 2006 in SmugMug Support
How should I ensure maximum print quality and print size options when I upload images to smugmug. I shoot with a canon 5D 12.8 mp in RAW mode. I import into Adobe Lightroom.

I would like my cutomer to have the opportunity to order upto 20 x 30 prints.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Rick

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Zosos wrote:
    How should I ensure maximum print quality and print size options when I upload images to smugmug. I shoot with a canon 5D 12.8 mp in RAW mode. I import into Adobe Lightroom.

I would like my cutomer to have the opportunity to order upto 20 x 30 prints.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Rick
    wave.gif Hi Rick, welcome to Dgrin and SmugMug!

I'm your house pro and I'll help you.

Essentially, you need to do nothing except export from Lightroom to jpg. Don't upres or downres, rather, upload the full file, with all the original pixels. In photoshop terms, I recommend "save as" jpg level 10, or if you must, 11. 10 is "lab quality" and produces amazing prints. Very hard to tell the difference between 11 and 12. So, use the Lightroom equivalents. Mainly, don't upres or downres.

Lots more here:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/print-quality

Holler with any questions, I'm here to help you deal.gif
  • ZososZosos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    printing work flow
    Thanks Andy, but I'm still missing something. I just followed your direstions. I just took one shot in RAW at 12.8, I uploaded it to Adobe Light Room (did no editing on it) and exported into jpg onto my desktop. I then uploaded it to smugmug (at this point the image became 100KB with Dimensions of 450x300). When I click "buy this image" and go to my cart the only size available to me is Wallet Size.

I'm missing something here. Any help is appreciated here.

Rick
    edited July 10, 2006
    Zosos wrote:

I'm missing something here. Any help is appreciated here.

Rick

Yes, you're downsizing it in Lightroom. Don't do that :D
  • ZososZosos Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    constrain image size box
    Yeah, I think I figured it out. The "Constrain Image Size" box was checked, so lightroom was taking 3000 x 450 image and downsining it to a 300 x 450 image. Once I unchecked the box my image size jumped from 100kb to 6.8mb.

Did I get it right?

Thanks for your help Andy.

Rick
    edited July 10, 2006
    Zosos wrote:
    Yeah, I think I figured it out. The "Constrain Image Size" box was checked, so lightroom was taking 3000 x 450 image and downsining it to a 300 x 450 image. Once I unchecked the box my image size jumped from 100kb to 6.8mb.

Did I get it right?

Thanks for your help Andy.

Rick
    Sounds much better!