I'm a bit fed up, am I wasting my time? (7 small images)

thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in People
I'm feeling about down this evening, I've had a digital SLR for just over 3 months now and with a new baby I've pretty much been stuck at home so she's been my main subject for photography (this part I'm enjoying.)

I'm worried that I'm deluding myself as to the quality of the pictures I have been taking, the reason? The totally underwhelmed reaction I seem to get from my wife's parents and in fact my wife and other friends and family when I show them my latest pictures.

Whilst I remain a complete amateur, I've convinced myself that my pictures are, whilst a long way short of professional, better than your average happy snap. However I'm staring to doubt this is the case. Where better to turn than Dgrin for some honest opinions.

Here's a selection of shots, I'm not looking for an ego massage but I would like to know if the reactions I've received thus far are justified because if so I need to rethink pursuing this hobby.

Anyway here are a few of said shots:-

77902591-S.jpg81266289-S.jpg

80788145-S.jpg

77913958-S.jpg

80795475-S.jpg

77917725-S.jpg

80794911-S.jpg

80799328-S.jpg

Any comments appreciated, good or bad.

Charlie

Comments

• PezpixPezpix Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I love the third picture! But I'm biased towards photojournalistic style portrait work thumb.gif

Never give up Big Sky, and always remember, the learning curve is only as hard as you make it when it comes to your art. Personally, I always feel underwhelmed by my own work at times and the only way I can feel better is by discovering the little things about my photography that make me feel good.
    Professional Ancient Smugmug Shutter Geek
    Master Of Sushi Noms
    Amateur CSS Dork
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I like several of them. A couple of them seem a bit soft but that may be what you were going for.

I think you have done a nice job of catching expresions.

Keep at it. You have a good eye.
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Charlie - In my decidedly amateur opinion - the first and fifth shots a really nice, and the others are shots that Daddy will love more than the rest of the world. Nothing wrong with that!

I think you may underestimate the ratio of "wow" shots folks get compared to how many are just average. I'm talking NORMAL people here, not the Andy's Yuri's and Harry's of the world. :D Most of us amateurs take tons of ordinary shots and get a few really above average ones out of them. The fact we can get some great ones means we are trying, we are interested in improving and we have some level of talent worth developing.

So stick with it, don't get discouraged! You've got a great subject to shoot and a good resource here to take advantage of. Your great-to-average ratio will improve with time. There aren't many folks who master their first dSLR in 3 months, give it time.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 10, 2006
    Charlie,

It could be the culture of the people, to whom you have shown these images, that one image is better than many. When some folks are shown many images, they may think you are looking for them to make a choice.

Save all of these images because, some day, they will have much greater significance and emotional appeal.

I see several that I like, and you're doing a lot that's right and good. I suggest that perhaps you are missing a little opportunity for extra improvement.

The first image, for instance, has a background that needs to be simplified, IMHO. I think I like this treatment better. I also created a Curve which promoted the mid-tones and highlights and pulled the darker tones down a bit. This increased contrast, but kept the image similar overall to original. Curves is very subjective, but I think I like it better.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    That's pretty darned funny!

77902591-Th.jpg

The reaction you're getting reminds me of the reaction shooters get at the track. We like the artsy type shots, with high aesthetic value. But the riders want meat-and-potatoes shots that explicitly show them in action. They could care less about style, it's not what they want.

You're going for style. Perhaps your family just wants more mundane, meat-and-potatoes shots? ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    the third is my favorite and I think very highly of it

take to heart the advice you get here, though mine you might want to take with a grain of salt (:D), and you'll certainly improve... you should be looking too at your shot to shot-you-like ratio as mentioned earlier... I started at about 2% and have moved to between 5 & 10%... the 5-10% are now better, I think, than the 2% at the beginning

a bulk critique I can offer about what you've posted in this thread is to be careful with your focus; make sure what is sharp is what you want most prominent and take care with your DOF

keep up the good work,
    Rich
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    I think you're doing just great! I love #1 and #3. I find that other people, especially those who are not into photography, never like the shots that I like. Don't worry about it...you are not wasting your time. Just think of the great shots you will get of her when she's going to her first day of school, or when she gives her first dance recital, or when she graduates, and gets married....You have a lot of important photo ops lined up ahead of you in the future and no one can capture her essence better than you can!
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2006
    Charlie,
    FWIW...

I went through this same thing recently. It was as if this 'thing' (photography) that I feel so deeply in my very bones was having NO impact at all on my wife or kids. And these are the dearest people to me on earth. It hurt, not just *hurt* but HURT.

So...I started showing my work to other people and made up a few prints for some of them. These prints wound up on their walls, and I started getting comments and feedback from *other* people who saw them displayed. You know what? I got the validation I needed that I was onto *something* and going in the right direction. I had achieved (no, not arrived), recognition for a talent that I had begun to think only I saw.

Now, what happened next is interesting...

I would be out in public and get a very sincere compliment from people about my work IN FRONT OF my wife :D . Suddenly, she starting taking more of an interest in my photography and began making 'requests' for prints and buying frames. She confessed that she was frustrated because "all of your pictures are on that stupid computer, and I never get to see them!"

Things are decidedly better now, and she has come alongside me in this endeavor (which is what I've wanted from the start).

So, hang in there man, hang in there!

Re: your pics...

All of them 'work' to some extent. I really like the processing on them, especially the B&W's. They are all fine keepsake shots which you and your family will treasure for years. A few of them also stand on their own as 'photographs' for sure.

One, small suggestion:

You seem to be shooting down on your daughter or at the very least even with her. Try shooting from a lower perspective and see how that feels to you.

Take care and good light,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I hope you don't mind me commenting on each one individually. I found that this is what helped me the most. I think you definitely have a MUCH better eye than the "average bear" and the average "P&S" person. Definitely keep going.... Here are my comments on each shot....

77902591-S.jpg
    I LOVE the expression in this photo! I think the yawn is something so hard to capture at just the right point - this is perfect! But the background is way too distracting. When I first started shooting my youngest, I found this out the hard way. Then I started dropping a blanket over EVERYTHING I put her in the second I pulled out the camera - the reactions I got were c completely different. And for a reason. They concentrated on HER instead of the surroundings. I'd consider taking the time to PS and blur the stuff that the baby is on - that might make him? her? (sorry!) stand out more! In this case, though, a simple crop from the left and right would make the baby stand out more!

80788145-S.jpg
    Eh.... It's okay. Great focus on the eyes, but the forehead is too big. This is a VERY cute baby and this doesn't do her (I'm assuming from the pink!) any justice!

77913958-S.jpg
    Once again, the background distracts from a GREAT shot of a wonderful expression! I love this shot otherwise!

80795475-S.jpg
    Another "eh" because of the angle. Definitely stay at the baby's level. Shooting down doesn't do it for me.

77917725-S.jpg
    This photo screams "CROP ME!!!!" What a wonderful expression on BOTH faces. There is no need for the fullness of the shoulder - crop to just behind the baby's ear, to the far right and then at teh top about the sam and below just an inch (in approximation) below the shoulder. Bring those wonderful faces into focus! I just LOVE the lighting on the baby's face! PERFECT! Well, in my opinion, anyway! I love the lighting in the whole shot, personally!

80794911-S.jpg
    Fun, but others are better....

80799328-S.jpg
    Not real wild about this. What is mom doing? I love the closeness of the two, but don't really understand what she's doing to the baby. I think if you had gotten lower and shot from the level of the baby towards the mom (?) bending over her to see how the mom is caring, this could have been much stronger.

Sooooo.... Your overall question.... Should you continue? ABSOLUTELY! Do you have room for improvement? I haven't met ANYONE who doesn't! Should you be "upset"? No! You are getting some really wonderful shots that just need some slight changes to make them amazing! You are capturing some true emotion - something I think is hard. Keep going and just keep shooting and take ALL the criticism (good AND bad) from everyone in mind, find your own "voice" and post 'em here! Even if your shots aren't "normal" ones (in other words, not everyone loves your shots even if YOU do), you are finding what moves YOU and that's the most important.

HTH!
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    i like the first pic the best....

just wait until the crawling and walking...you won't stop snappin!

keep up the good work. some people might take a good photo for granted...unless it's totally bad...some might not say anything.
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Wow, I'm overwhelmed by the time and effort everyone has taken to reply to my post, thank you all so much, it's genuinely appreciated.

I've really taken heart by the overall reaction which was more akin to what I was expecting than that received from from my nearest and dearest, if there's one thing I hate it's indifference.

Clearly there are subjecvtivity issues here as this is my daughter and I need to see past those. I also think I'm expecting too much too soon as this is a pretty steep learning curve.

The conclusions I've reached from all your excellent contributions are, keep experimenting with the artsy farty stuff but keep it to yourself until you've mastered it, meanwhile make sure you take some 'meat and potatoe' shots (I think you hit the nail on the head wxwax) while you're at it.

For instance the following pics did engender some positive responses even though in my mind I though they were more happy snappy:-

80796403-S.jpg

80788891-S.jpg

77903138-S.jpg

I think things will become easier when my daughter can sit up on her own, at the moment she needs propping up and I think this leads to me taking a lot of downward looking shots.

Ziggy, I love that conversion, thanks, it's definitely improved the shot, now can you magically cover the ring with a plain blanket mwink.gif

Mongrel - It really hurts doesn't it, It takes a lot to get me down but this certainly did it.

photogmoma - Wow, thanks for taking time to critique each picture, it's far more than I was expecting.

Again, thanks to everyone else, all the contributions have helped immensely.

Some further question if I may be so bold.

What aperture range do you typically use for portraits and to be considered valid should all facial features be in focus?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a portrait photographer's gallery who they consider to be absolutely on the money.

Charlie
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I love 1,3 and 6! I love the few where only the eyes are in focus!

great job,

Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • mghanermghaner Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    I like 1
    The first one is my favorite. I think you have some nice shots and you should not get discouraged. You have a great subject to work with, enjoy the time you have and shoot what makes you happy.
    "I feel way more like I do right now then I did earlier today"
    http://www.mikehaner.blogspot.com

edited July 12, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I love 1,3 and 6! I love the few where only the eyes are in focus!

great job,

Ross

Thanks Ross, if there's one thing I associate with babies it's big piercing eyes and soft skin, that's what I was trying to capture.
    edited July 12, 2006
    mghaner wrote:
    The first one is my favorite. I think you have some nice shots and you should not get discouraged. You have a great subject to work with, enjoy the time you have and shoot what makes you happy.

Thanks for your comments, number one seems to be a favourite, I like it too. I might go back to the PP and see what I can do about the busy background.