Options

Popular Seattle view

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited October 10, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
To get a shot like this or this (not mine so linky instead of imbeddy) go here (google maps link).
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2006
    Thanks Mike!

I just moved here. I'll have a blast trying this shot out.
    Any recommendations for websites or resources to tell when the haze is at a minimum so I can get a nice shot of the mountain?
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    As another Seattlite I thought I would chime in.

To get a picture like that, without the haze, you have to be ready to take the picture a no more than a day or two after it rains, and depending on what time of year it is, it might help if you bring your polarizer.

Personally, I prefer sunrise photos. Places like Kerry Park can get kind of crowded with photographers, especially around sunset.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks Mike!

I just moved here. I'll have a blast trying this shot out.
    Any recommendations for websites or resources to tell when the haze is at a minimum so I can get a nice shot of the mountain?
    You're going to need to get shots of the city soon if you're going to want the mountain to be in it. Come late Sep or Oct days are going to start getting rainy. Come December you'll be lucky to find a good stretch of clear days. Early summertime is usually very clear. Also after the real heat of the summer ends (all 7 to 10 days of it) it should be less smoggy. I don't know of any sites that would tell you anything about the haze. But I've found that once the good light starts at sunset, you'll find the haze isn't nearly as much of a factor anymore.

• Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Perhaps I'll run into one of you guys there eventually :D

Here's another great link I've found (although I havn't spent the time to visit them yet) http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/Viewpts.htm
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2006
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Perhaps I'll run into one of you guys there eventually :D

Here's another great link I've found (although I havn't spent the time to visit them yet) http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/Viewpts.htm

Hey great link! clap.gif

Sometimes I forget just how many great places there are to go for scenic pics in Seattle.

Here is my neighborhood viewpoint http://www.seattle.gov/parks/parkspaces/sunsethill.htm

Year round you can find people taking pictures of the sun setting behind the Olympic Mountains from Sunset Hill park. I met a guy there once who took pictures from that location almost day for 7 years!
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    To get a shot like this or this (not mine so linky instead of imbeddy) go here (google maps link).
    thumb.gif Excellent!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    As another Seattlite I thought I would chime in.

To get a picture like that, without the haze, you have to be ready to take the picture a no more than a day or two after it rains, and depending on what time of year it is, it might help if you bring your polarizer.

Personally, I prefer sunrise photos. Places like Kerry Park can get kind of crowded with photographers, especially around sunset.
    Thanks for the haze advice greenpea.
    Great link as well LuckyBob!
    Any recommendations for lens's besides the polarizer for cityscape/landscape shots like this? (nikkor AF lens recommendations only plz)
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2006
    It's nice to see some otehr DGrinners from out here! We just moved into the Everett area, about 30 minutes north of Seattle. Maybe sometime we could have a Seattle equivalent of the MI3 in Florida!
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    Rhuarc wrote:
    It's nice to see some otehr DGrinners from out here! We just moved into the Everett area, about 30 minutes north of Seattle. Maybe sometime we could have a Seattle equivalent of the MI3 in Florida!

A seattle meetup would be awesome. If there's enough interest we can move it over to the meetups threads.

• Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    A seattle meetup would be awesome. If there's enough interest we can move it over to the meetups threads.
    I'll keep my ear to the ground for any good events that provide a broad range of things to shoot.
    If I hear about anything. I will post in this thread.
    Might be a good idea to set up email alert on this thread in case.. hint hint..

-Slo
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    Here's a city scape I took from Columbia Way on the Beacon Avenue bridge.
    let me know if you want directions.
    Post production panorama.

-Slo
  • Options
    edited September 8, 2006
    I think there is a similar view to this when you are coming up I-5 south of Seattle, just north of Boeing Field. Is the Beacon Avenue Bridge down around there?
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2006
    Your talking about the same view that I shot. I'm standing right over I-5 when I took these shots. Just North of Boeing field.

This view is NOTHING compared to the spot Mike got a shot of though.

-Jon
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2006
    related question
    Hi amazing Seattle photographers! I am from central washington but I end up in the city occassionally to visit family and I sometimes get "tricked" into doing some portraits when I come.

Any suggestions for good locations in the Bothell area? I am hoping for at least one indoor idea in case it rains? Any thoughts? Would be much appreciated.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    I'll be at the highland park spot tomorrow morning for sunrise (weather permitting) if anyone is interested in meeting up there. Sunrise is at 6:39 so I'll be up there at about 6:00.

• Options
    Man, if I didn't have to take my wife to work in the morning I'd be there! Lol.

On another note, I don't suppose anyone has a second camera body and lens they could lend or rent to me periodically if we had an area get together?

Anyway, wish I was there in the morning, can't wait to see the pics!
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'll be at the highland park spot tomorrow morning for sunrise (weather permitting) if anyone is interested in meeting up there. Sunrise is at 6:39 so I'll be up there at about 6:00.
    Grrrrr...
    I'm one day behind your schedule.
    I really wish I could go tomorrow. I'm eager to learn more about sunrise shots, and how to compose them. I'll be there on Tuesday learning the hard way...
    I didn't even know about highland until you posted on this thread.
    thanks for the location.

-Jon
  • Options
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Man, if I didn't have to take my wife to work in the morning I'd be there! Lol.

On another note, I don't suppose anyone has a second camera body and lens they could lend or rent to me periodically if we had an area get together?

Anyway, wish I was there in the morning, can't wait to see the pics!

http://www.glazerscamera.com/rentals.html mwink.gif

• Options
    Mike Lane wrote:

Wow eek7.gif. I wish I could function that early in the morning; I've only been ready to shoot one sunrise in my life, and it was on Camano Island right before my family was selling the property. If it wasn't already quite late and I wasn't sick I'd see if I could crawl out of bed early. Next time somebody's going to be around at a park for sunsets I'll be sure to be there :D

In all reality, a Seattle meetup would be great since I've been quite keen to put a face to some of the names around here. One of these days (weekend) I've been planning on running around to the various viewpoints that the Seattle Parks link I posted earlier listed and getting a perspective on downtown from several viewpoints. Sound like something worthwile for a possible meetup?
  • Options
    I think something like that would be alot of fun, even if I don't have a camera I'd still love to do it just to put some more faces to people!
  • Options
    Mike Lane wrote:

I'm bummed I didn't read this post sooner, this morning must have been great for picks from highland park! Although it would have been difficult for me to do this on meet up on a Monday.
    Andrew

• Options
    greenpea wrote:
    I'm bummed I didn't read this post sooner, this morning must have been great for picks from highland park! Although it would have been difficult for me to do this on meet up on a Monday.
    :uhoh Eh... oh well, I couldn't roll myself out of bed this morning. lol3.gif Anyhow, it would have been some good shooting I bet. That location is probably better suited for sunset shots anyhow.

• Options
    Heh. Now I don't feel so guilty for not showing up. mwink.gif
  • Options
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Heh. Now I don't feel so guilty for not showing up. mwink.gif
    Laughing.gif
    I would have been a salty dog if I got up that early and Mike was a no show.
    I'll be there tomorrow morning (tuesday), but I fuly don't expect anyone top get up that early to meet me.
    I'll be there at 5:30 if anyone does though.

-Jon
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2006
    Where's that?
    Mike Lane wrote:
    OK, so I'm joining this thread a couple of days late, but...

What "Highland Park" location are you refering to? headscratch.gif

I live in Highland Park (West Seattle neighborhood between High Point and South Park) and have no idea where you're talking about. You don't mean Kerry Park (which is on W. Highland Drive), do you? Obviously everyone else figured out where you were talking about, so I must just be missing something.

Oh, and btw, I'd be interested in a Seattle meetup too.
  • Options
    BenA2 wrote:
    OK, so I'm joining this thread a couple of days late, but...

What "Highland Park" location are you refering to? headscratch.gif

I live in Highland Park (West Seattle neighborhood between High Point and South Park) and have no idea where you're talking about. You don't mean Kerry Park (which is on W. Highland Drive), do you? Obviously everyone else figured out where you were talking about, so I must just be missing something.

Oh, and btw, I'd be interested in a Seattle meetup too.
    It's in the first post of this thread. It may not be called highland park ne_nau.gif

• Options
    Mike Lane wrote:
    It's in the first post of this thread. It may not be called highland park ne_nau.gif
    Ah, yes. That is indeed Kerry Park (sometimes called Kerry Viewpoint).

Thanks for clearing that up, Mike. I thought I was going crazy.
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    :uhoh Eh... oh well, I couldn't roll myself out of bed this morning. lol3.gif Anyhow, it would have been some good shooting I bet. That location is probably better suited for sunset shots anyhow.

I finally managed to drag myself out of bed and get pics at Kerry Park. I just had to wait until the sun was coming up a little later in the morning. rolleyes1.gif

I showed up around 6:20 AM and a few other people with the same idea showed shortly after.

I know this post probably belongs somewhere else, but it was this thread that gave me the idea for this mornings photo shoot.

98943281-M.jpg
    Andrew

• Options
    edited October 1, 2006
    greenpea wrote:
    I finally managed to drag myself out of bed and get pics at Kerry Park. I just had to wait until the sun was coming up a little later in the morning. rolleyes1.gif

I showed up around 6:20 AM and a few other people with the same idea showed shortly after.

I know this post probably belongs somewhere else, but it was this thread that gave me the idea for this mornings photo shoot.

98943281-M.jpg
    I was thinking about this myself yesterday. But, after yesterday's foggy morning, I gave up the notion. I guess it ended up being clear afterall. So, let's see the pics!
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    I was thinking about this myself yesterday. But, after yesterday's foggy morning, I gave up the notion. I guess it ended up being clear afterall. So, let's see the pics!

My daughter woke me up at 5 AM, she was able to go back to sleep, but I wasn't. I checked out the sky and could see stars, so I decided to go for it. Shortly after the sun came up, it started getting pretty grey (as you can see in the pics).

Here are the results...
    http://initialphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1949577

The big mistake, was when I got home and realized I had left long exposure noise reduction off. So some of the pictures look kind of like they were taken at iso 1600.
    Andrew