Today's butterfly

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in Holy Macro
I needed a change of subjects :D

Minimal post processing and no cropping.

81015275-M.jpg

C&C always welcome :):
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Great work eek7.gif loved it
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Dalantech wrote:
    I needed a change of subjects :D

Minimal post processing and no cropping.
    C&C always welcome :):

Ohhhhhh nice change Dalantech...... he's a cute butterfly, my GPS arrives today so I will be able to go Zoo allllllll by myself soon whooohoooo!!

Look out forum when I get my new found freedom.

First place I am going to Dalantech is the Butterfly Enclosure at the Royal Melbourne Zoo....... thanks for the inspiration....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    A floating leaf with a lovely butterfly. thumb.gif
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Great work eek7.gif loved it

Thanks Awais! :):
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited July 12, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Ohhhhhh nice change Dalantech...... he's a cute butterfly, my GPS arrives today so I will be able to go Zoo allllllll by myself soon whooohoooo!!

Look out forum when I get my new found freedom.

First place I am going to Dalantech is the Butterfly Enclosure at the Royal Melbourne Zoo....... thanks for the inspiration....... Skippy (Australia)

GPS? Global Positioning System -or am I too much of a geek?! :D

I would LOVE to go to a butterfly enclosure! Every insect seems to require a certain amount of time to learn how to compose them, and I just haven't had enough experience with the little winged critters. I took a couple of really nice shots yesterday that I would have posted had I not blown the composition :cry

FWIW: Set your camera to shutter priority 1/250 of a second (or whatever your max sync speed is) and set the exposure bias on your camera to -2/3. Set your flash to -2 (you just want a little light for fill). Let the aperture fall where it will, but if it gets too large (small F number) then change ISO. On the 20D that I shoot with I can go as high as ISO 400 and still get good detail. Once you get your images on your PC just use Photoshop (or Elements) to bring the exposure up. Under exposing with a DSLR's sensor causes colors to saturate, and -2/3 of a stop seems to be the sweet spot for me both with macro and scenics...
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited July 12, 2006
    boogie wrote:
    A floating leaf with a lovely butterfly. thumb.gif

The original image is horizontal -the butterfly is looking down at the ground. When I shot it I composed knowing that I would turn the image 90 degrees when I got it on my PC. Because it was about 4:30 PM the sun cast a nice shadow against the leaf, so making the image vertical works... mwink.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

edited July 12, 2006
    Two more from yesterday's outing -not the best compositions on these. The critter was moving a lot (plus the wind was blowing him around) so he was a little tough to track.

81022667-M.jpg

81022944-M.jpg
    My SmugMug Gallery