Greetings from a newbie

jtf6agentjtf6agent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 12, 2006 in People
Hi all. Stumbled across this site while searching tips on bettering my portfolio. Haven't finished exploring the entire site yet but, it does look fun. Just so you know I am a self taught photog. I currently string for a local paper here in San Diego. I've been with them for over a year now and have done fairly well. I will be enrolling in NYIP hopefull before the end of summer. I figure if I have made it this far with teaching myself, imagine what I am capable of if some who knew what they were doing taught me. I bought a Nikon D70 read the manual..err uhh sort of read the manual (I'm not that smart) I bought a how to on the Nikon D70 and went from there. I was tossed from a local pro hockey game because my "lens" was too big. Yeah, I'm still tying to figure that one out. They said I had to be with the press to shoot a camera that nice in the arena. I thought about that one for a couple of days then decided to find out what it took to be a "Press" photographer. I contacted the local paper and set up an interview. With porfolio in hand I was hired that day. My first assignement made the front page and I have been on a roll ever since. Personally, I think I suck and get lucky quite often. I take enough shots of a subject that odds are one of them has to come out. I decided to hit the net and improve. I managed upon a site about a year ago and it has helped tremendously. I found this one today and it's similar to the other and decided to up the odds. So...

Hello everyone!!

Comments

• BakatBakat Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    clap.gifclapWELCOME!clap.gifclap
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif
    "Photography is not a sport. It has no rules"
    Bill Brandt
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    why hello,

how are you?

welcome to dgrin. I'm a newbie as well, but I thought I'd take the time to welcome you! lol. you ask the people who are sick of answering my questions how long I've been here, I've lost track. j/k. Dgrin is definitely the best forum on the net....in the world! the people here are really awesome, I think you'll really like it.

Congratulations on your press photography job and the great front page photo you got! that's awesome.
    Can't wait to see some of your work,

talk to you soon,

ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    You can post here without posting some pics mwink.gif

WELCOME.... and share something with the rest of the class, will ya?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2006
    Hiya jtf, great to have ya here! Love to see some of your "lucky" shots. naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jtf6agentjtf6agent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2006
    My first front page
    It'll always be my favorite front page. My favorite assignment was the San Diego Padres vs. the St Louis Cardinals Championship game. I almost passedout at that game because I forgot to breath. anyway here is a link to my front page
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/06/01/news/top_stories/22_51_175_31_05.txt
  • jtf6agentjtf6agent Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2006
    here is another assignment I had during grad nights locally

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/07/07/community/photos/3b02-p-ramgrad-6-28.txt

I'll try to post more as we go along