CMOS sensor problem, how do I take it away? persistent problem.

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited July 12, 2006 in Cameras
I'm having problems with those famous dots in my pictures, and the problem is that I have being doing the whole cleaning process as the manual says, but the problem persists.
I think the problem resides in the blower's quality, but I'm not sure, maybe the blower isn't good enough to blow the dust from the sensor, not strong enough I mean.
Should I use something else? what other alternative do I have to remove it from my sensor? can a compressed air device help?
The blower I'm actually using is from a Vivitar cleaning kit, the one that comes with a little broom, hahaha, I know how much that one sucks, sorry.

I have a Canon EOS 20D, and I'm desperate to take the damn dust away, PLEASE, HELP ME!!! :cry
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 12, 2006
    Unfortunately, the blower can be part of the problem.

Two things:

1) The blower has to get air from somewhere. If it sucks in dusty air, it blows that directly onto the sensor.

2) Blowers are formed with either release powder or silicone release material. If you got a blower formed with the release powder, some can be in the blower itself.

To solve the first problem, you have to control where you are sucking the air from. To solve the second, wash and rinse the blower well and then get it completely dry before using it.

More info here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8350

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Do not use compressed air cans!

Little bits of propellant can spit out, you don't want that gunk anywhere near your sensor.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Ziggy is right. Blower does nothing but blow the dust partical from one place to other. You might end up bringing more dust into the chamber and when you turn the camera on the static charge will suck them on to your CMOS sensor.

Try the Copper Hill sensor cleaning see if this helps.

http://www.copperhillimages.com/shopping/start.php?browse=1
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    I use the wet cleaning method all the time as my 20D seems to be a dust magnet first and camera second. It isn't a big deal, sorta like changing the oil on your car ... while yes you are dealing with something vital to the car, it isn't all that hard. Remember that you are cleaning a glass filter in front of the sensor, not the actual sensor. Don't over do the fluid, better to make multiple passes with a little fluid than have cleaning fluid spilling out the top of your lens well.

The Copperhill methodology easily removes the dust from my camera.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 12, 2006
    I did a search here on dgrin and found the following threads related to sensor cleaning, a topic that has been discussed extensively over the years.

http://www.dgrin.com/search.php?searchid=65575
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2006
    Maybe most of you probably already know, but I still want to share my tip. Here is how I change my lens

1) I always hang my camera on my neck facing down and then dismount the lens

2) Give a few Rocket Blow on the back of the lens that I want to mount on the camera before I mount it.

This way I can avoid the dust going into the camera because of the gravity. I also try to avoid lens change, if possible, in dusty area such like in the city. So far I had no problem with dust on CMOS sensor, or maybe I am just lucky?:):

Eric
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 12, 2006
    I try to face the lens mount face down while changing lenses also, but sooner or later dust will appear. It is a fact of life.ne_nau.gif

I was with Joe Farace at the Smugmug shootout and he was pretty blase about lens changes - Body up, body down, in the wind, inside the car whatever. He did not seem overly concerned about dust either with the Pentax DSLR he was using or the Olympus DSLR which has the ultrasonic dust removal feature. He has a very nice smugmug site;

http://farace.smugmug.com/
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin