need photoshop help, please

2»

Comments

• ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I used the LAB color curve steepening approach. Then, in the L-channel, I decreased brightness a little and increased the contrast. Hope you like it.

Tim
  • imann08imann08 Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Ratcheer,

That was a good example. You used the simplest of methods in LAB and it probably took you all of a minute max. The one I did, I went way overboard but that's another story. I think that once someone gets the method you used down and sees the differences it can make, they will naturally want to see where it takes them next. Despite what Shay says, the method you just used is reliable and repeatable all day. Using more advanced methods doesn't change that. Nice job.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Heres a quick 2 second alteration using the sunshine filter from Nik color efex pro plugin.

81794996-O.jpg
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    my tweeks

levels, set grey
    bumped brightness, contrast slightly
    usm
    corrected horizon, cropped accordingly

81803607-M.jpg

got some red out, can't help but think it's close to her skin tone...being a redhead/blonde mix. oh yea, removed the grass from her nostrile too.

81834746-M.jpg

final go, minor retouching and removed more red (reset my colorspace too)

81841016-M.jpg
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Kids, I don't mean to be rude, but not one of these fixes has good skin tones. By turns they have too much magenta, yellow or red. Not a one looks natural, I'm afraid.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Kids, I don't mean to be rude, but not one of these fixes has good skin tones. By turns they have too much magenta, yellow or red. Not a one looks natural, I'm afraid.

Come on then put your money where your mouth is mwink.gif

edited July 15, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Come on then put your money where your mouth is mwink.gif
    naughty.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited July 15, 2006
    I'm a better critic than I am a PS player, but here goes.

I think this is more accurate, tho not necessarily more flattering.

81869090-L.jpg

And I think this is less accurate, but warmer.

81868287-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Sid,

Flattering trumps accurate every time.

Here's my shot at it:
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm a better critic than I am a PS player, but here goes.

And I think this is less accurate, but warmer.

81868287-L.jpg

good on ya....you did it with this one.
  • Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    I'm curious. Without knowing the models, or their clothing, or the lighting conditions when the picture was taken, how can you possibly determine what is more or less accurate? At best, you are talking about a range of plausibility and a matter of taste.

And even if you could determine what was more accurate, I'm not sure that would make it better. Everyone else went for more saturation in these images. Given that they were taken at twilight, I think thats at least a reasonable choice. The "accurate" version, however, looks less saturated than the original and seems to have less pop.

Even so, its still a pleasant picture, and because color variation has been reduced, it puts the skin tones into a narrower range, which some people like. Again, I think its a matter of taste.

Duffy
    edited July 16, 2006
    Duffy, I think everyone tried to change the black point too much. When I used Curves or Levels and messed with the dark side, the shot looked like everyone else's. So I didn't try to bring up the dark very much. Hence the lack of contrast.

I was just going for somewhat natural looking skin tones. Not saying I got them. But I am saying that no-one else did. None of the images looked plausible. Making things challenging is that the woman seems to have a natural yellowish cast to her skin, and the child's face is in a bit of a shadow. I do think you can look at the child's face and dress, the woman's dress, the grass and the sand and know what looks right. ne_nau.gif
    Sid.
    edited July 16, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    I do think you can look at the child's face and dress, the woman's dress, the grass and the sand and know what looks right. ne_nau.gif

I agree to a point but the light at the time can make a massive difference to the colour contrast of the dress,grass and skin etc.

It really is almost impossible without a reference of having seen it ourselves through our own eyes whether or not its "right" So I tend to go for what in my opinion looks good rather than what i imagine it should look like.

• ratcheerratcheer Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    imann08 wrote:
    Ratcheer,

That was a good example. You used the simplest of methods in LAB and it probably took you all of a minute max. The one I did, I went way overboard but that's another story. I think that once someone gets the method you used down and sees the differences it can make, they will naturally want to see where it takes them next. Despite what Shay says, the method you just used is reliable and repeatable all day. Using more advanced methods doesn't change that. Nice job.
    Thank you. You are correct, I only spent a minute or so doing what I did. However, before I did that, I had wasted several minutes trying to set the color levels, but nothing I tried improved on the original, so I left it the way it was.

Tim
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    ratcheer wrote:
    Thank you. You are correct, I only spent a minute or so doing what I did. However, before I did that, I had wasted several minutes trying to set the color levels, but nothing I tried improved on the original, so I left it the way it was.

Tim

There are several steps in this correction, none of them drastic. I can understand wanting the quick fix when there are a lot of images to work with; quality must be balanced with time. But sometimes, as with this image, a little more attention seems warranted. I did some basic lab moves for color and contrast, a couple of sharpening moves and then a slight retouch on the faces to smooth out imperfections that became apparent with the sharpen moves.

mom_child.jpg
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski