Finally have my new camera (Canon 30D)

mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited July 24, 2006 in Cameras
So paid for it yesterday, fellow in Toronto mailed it yesterday at 3 and it arrived this morning at 10:30. Never had mail arrive so quickly.

So anyway I now have my new camera. I've updated photoshop with the newest RAW plugin, installed all the software and ready to get going. currently reading the manual and enjoying every moment of it.

Any suggestions from anyone with a 30D? Anything you played with or toying with now?
Brian Larter
brianlarter.com
aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
BG-E2 Battery Grip
50mm f/1.8 MK 1
28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
17-40mm L USM f/4.0

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 14, 2006
    Just go shoot stuff!
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I'm so jealous! :D

I ordered mine a few days ago mwink.gif , paid for 2nd day air and it's scheduled delivery is MONDAY!?! umph.gifeek7.gif ugh, I can't believe it. shoulda paid for next day. oh well....I can't wait for my new camera so we'll be on the same path stone! can't wait to talk again,

Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Hi Brian,

I've had mine for about a week. My little manual is already looking well-worn.

As someone suggested to me, bypass the auto settings - or shoot one round with them just to see the quality that you would get from that setting, then start playing with each of the settings in "creative" mode.

This is my first Canon digital, so I'm getting used to the "logic" of the camera's programming. Each day, I'm shooting mostly to observe how the camera behaves.

The other day I found myself stuck out in the park without my manual and had automatic exposure compensation bumped up a few notches. And I couldn't remember which combination of buttons would let me adjust it - SOOOOO frustrating. You better believe, I'll always remember how to change it now.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm finding that I'd like to have little "assignments" that will force me to try a certain function of the camera. I'll probably be making up a few up for myself and if any one who is new to this camera is interested, I'd be happy to post them. Also, if anyone who already has one would like to challenge us - that would be great as well.

I don't need much motivation to play with this camera - I've gotten some really lovely shots with it so far.

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Congrats on the new camera
    Now turn off the computer and get out there and shoot :D

Fred
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I spent last night reading the manual over (most of its a refresher since a lot of its in the original 300D manual). I am playing with a lot of the menu settings and using exclusivly the creative modes.

I was told that the best thing you can do is use manual and only manual to learn your camera. so thats what I've been doing.

My manual will be getting its worn feel soon [lol]

and yes please post those assignments, I'd love to follow along.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • HBOCHBOC Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 15, 2006
    i just got my 30D 3 weeks ago, maybe. I also ordered the BG-E2 (the battery grip), the 10-22mm, bought the rs-80N3 (cable release), a lens hood (since Canon won't ship a lens hood with an $$$ non L lens), the optech pro loop strap (awesome!), the Canon E-1 handstrap and i am looking to get an RRS L QR plate. i have the manfrotto one, but i have great things about the really right stuff gear. I have been shooting with an EOS-3 and i have the grip for it (booster), and it feels more solid with the grip, so i figured why not.

everyday, i wanna go shoot! i wish gas was $1.30 a gallon, that would be even better:)

good luck with the camera, it is amazing.
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    I have the battery grip[ on its way here now and had a hand strap from before. I honestly really dislike neck straps (they don't feel secure enough).

after that I will be looking to invest in some good glass.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    mrlarter wrote:
    I have the battery grip[ on its way here now and had a hand strap from before. I honestly really dislike neck straps (they don't feel secure enough).

I bought the battery grip as a matter of course, but the 30D is remarkably miserly. It will shoot for a long time even on a single battery. With the battery grip I can do multiple all-day shoots with the 70-200 f/2.8 IS with stabilization enabled. The old Rebel wouldn't even come close.

The pack isn't really necessary for my use, it turns out, but I still use it because it improves the balance when using longer lenses.

Regarding straps, I hated the Canon strap but am fond of a couple of different Tamrac straps that have quick-release. Sometimes I really want one, sometimes I really don't.
    after that I will be looking to invest in some good glass.

It's like crack. Lucky for me the addiction subsided after I filled in the range, but it was kind of expensive for awhile there. I would still like to get the f1.4 50mm and the f1.2 85mm, if only my wife would stop changing 1-800-D-I-V-O-R-C-E.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • TincanpullerTincanpuller Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2006
    First weeks trials
    meewolfie wrote:
    Hi Brian,

I've had mine for about a week. My little manual is already looking well-worn.

As someone suggested to me, bypass the auto settings - or shoot one round with them just to see the quality that you would get from that setting, then start playing with each of the settings in "creative" mode.

This is my first Canon digital, so I'm getting used to the "logic" of the camera's programming. Each day, I'm shooting mostly to observe how the camera behaves.

The other day I found myself stuck out in the park without my manual and had automatic exposure compensation bumped up a few notches. And I couldn't remember which combination of buttons would let me adjust it - SOOOOO frustrating. You better believe, I'll always remember how to change it now.

Practice, practice, practice. I'm finding that I'd like to have little "assignments" that will force me to try a certain function of the camera. I'll probably be making up a few up for myself and if any one who is new to this camera is interested, I'd be happy to post them. Also, if anyone who already has one would like to challenge us - that would be great as well.

I don't need much motivation to play with this camera - I've gotten some really lovely shots with it so far.

Mary
    I just got mine and love it. Took to a baseball game yestrday and had fun in sports mode. Leaving the finger down on the shutter button let me catch whole sequeces from the pitcher's wideup and pitch to the batter hitting the ball. I used a Quantaray 55-200mm F4-5.6 and only wished I was a few rows closer to the field. As it was the results were excellent.
  • DanteDante Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Grats
    Grats Brian! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

I just recently upgraded from a 300D to a 30D - wonderful upgrade indeed.

-Dante
    -Troy (Dante)
    I ordered my 30D from B&H last Monday. Paid for 3 day delivery. It was scheduled to arrive on Friday, which was the plan so I could use it for a wedding on Saturday.

Turns out UPS made a delivery attempt on Friday evening at 7:30 PM, but nobody was home to sign for it. The worst part is they didn't even leave a note at the door. If they had, I could have gone to the UPS warehouse near my home and picked it up before they closed for the evening, at 9:00 PM.

Anyhow, they were closed for the weekend. I just called UPS and told them not to attempt to deliver it today because I'd rather just pick it up after work. Hopefully this works out. I can't wait to finally get my 30D in my hands!