Glow of Light

DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
edited August 24, 2006 in People
This is a shot of my youngest daughter at a children's science museum. What could be improved in this shot, besides the poor depth of field? Does the image being soft ruin it? C&C welcome.

81649893-L.jpg

Comments

• DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Is this one any better, or are they both beyond hope?

81650926-L.jpg
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    I think this photo is just too far out of context for it to have any appeal to us; for you, it was a moment you remember in real life, the atmosphere, noises, sights, smells, her joy, etc. These things don't seem to translate in this photo.

Owen
    edited July 14, 2006
    Thanks Owen. I appreciate your frankness. What does it take to give a photograph more universal appeal? I'm learning.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 14, 2006
    David,

One of the things I find troubling in this image is that her face and hair are much darker than the light table in front of her. The viewer's eye tends to wander toward the brighter parts of the frame, but here, that leads me away from her face and her hair.

I think this shot would have more appeal if it had been shot with some fill flash to lighten up her face and put some detail and color in her hair. Not so much it washes out the light tables illumination, but just enough to help her face and hair compete for the viewer's eye.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 14, 2006
    Thanks Pathfinder. It was shot with flash. I just haven't been sure how to treat it in Photoshop. Here is another attempt, darkening the light table to deepen the colors and lightening her face and hair, to draw attention to them.

81717948-L.jpg
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2006
    DavidS wrote:
    Thanks Pathfinder. It was shot with flash. I just haven't been sure how to treat it in Photoshop. Here is another attempt, darkening the light table to deepen the colors and lightening her face and hair, to draw attention to them.

81717948-L.jpg

A great improvement! :D I like it.

She is really concentrating.....cute.
    edited August 23, 2006
    Thanks Ric. I was feeling pretty bummed that nobody liked this shot, but it did need some work.
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2006
    I think this shot would have worked if shot from directly above her; or, shot from the table's level angled towards her face.

You know, at first glance, your daughter looked 'normal' to me - like I wouldn't look twice or whatever; but the more I look at your photo, she grows on me. I do look forward to having kids of my own (I'm only 20 and ain't even had a g/f in a few years, let alone be married!) someday and this photo brings that to mind again.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight