my first thread...

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited July 15, 2006 in Sports
this is my first thread here and just looking for some tips or C&C. Thanks for looking..
day one arena dry
81382935-M.jpg
day 2 omg it we got rain
81390747-M.jpg
you can see more on my site ....:clap
http://AllensPhoto.smugmug.com/gallery/1661888/4/81390747

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Hi Curtis

Welcome to dgrin.

I'd like to offer up some C & C:

On your first shot, I really like to row of cowboys in the background, but there is too much other stuff back there and that takes away from the bull & rider (since when do bullriders wear helmets???). As well, the rider is too underexposed to stand out as the subject. So if I were you I'd try cropping out the unnecessary background stuff - get good and close to your subject. If it is possible to leave the row of cowboys, do it. Otherwise, you need to make sure the subject stands out. You could try the shadow midtone highlight tool to lighten him.

On the second shot, I believe you have a great moment. Now you need to get really close to the action - crop severely to isolate just the action.

I shoot soccer and got the following advise, which I've made my mantra:
    Shoot tight, crop tighter.
    Face, Ball, Action, Contact.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to more.

ann
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 14, 2006
    thanks
    thanks for the c&c i have got to learn to isolate part of pic i need to adjust .. still learning to post process... I normally do crop a lot tighter .. but as you stated i was conflicting on the effect of all the on lookers in the background .... as for wearing of the helmets it is becomming a more popular trend.. especially considering all these kids are in high school.. trying to preserve there good looks i guess.
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Wow, those are some great shots!! I agree with everything Ann said, a little boost here and there and some creative cropping will make them much stronger.
    edited July 15, 2006
    What an amazingly rich aubject to shoot. Great colors, textures and action.

I love the crispness of the pics. In the first one you got the bull centered perfect but it looks like off to the right there was a clown about to give chase. As Ann said either get in tighter on the bull or be sure to use that extra space to tell the tale. Having the bull and the clown framed is interesting to me.

In the second pic...well...mud is always fun. Thanks for sharing.

Looking at your site I found these.

81382927-M.jpg

81382947-M.jpg

Which appear to be a crop of the same photo. I'd re-crop it so that you get all of the photographers head in the upper left and move the right edge to the end to just a touch beyond the right end of the red dodge sign. Cool shot.
    edited July 15, 2006
    cropping
    thanks so much for all the input.. i love taking pictures! i just suck at getting them to print ...the reason i have not cropped is i was told if i try to sell some of these and they are cropped to tight all of the pic will not show in the final print...? i really don't understand this processing stuff....i really wished i new more of how the actual photo to print process workes....