SmugMug search result question

mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited July 14, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi -- I recently installed stat counter just to see where the hits to my website are coming from and noticed that someone ran a seach at http://www.tonyschreiber.com (a smugmug website -- pro level, I'm assuming) that generated a hit on my website. Why is that? And should I be watermarking/ copyrighting/ or protecting my family pictures in some way?

The search was www.tonyschreiber.com/search/index.mg?searchWordsShort=katie&searchType=InAlbum&AlbumID=1628363 (looks like someone was trying to search for "Katie" at the website and it found a picture on my website that was key-worded w/ my daughter's name.)

Does the search engine at a pro website not just search their photos, but searches all photos in smugmug?

If this is the wrong place for this question, please let me know where to post.

Thanks,

Comments

• dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    anybody can use smugmug search/browse or google search or yahoo search on any words, and if you have keyworded, or captioned pictures on the internet that are not in private galleries, your pictures will be offered up to the searcher. don't use the following keywords... kids, pool, spa, etc, alot of pervs out there.
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    funny you mentioned statcounter... that is how I discovered what people are looking for..... most people don't know that their pics are being searched and perused by the general public till you get these tools. for the Pro, this is desired, for the family pic sharer, it sucks.
  • mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    funny you mentioned statcounter... that is how I discovered what people are looking for..... most people don't know that their pics are being searched and perused by the general public till you get these tools. for the Pro, this is desired, for the family pic sharer, it sucks.

Yep, pretty much what I was thinking. I was just surprised that the search feature on a website that didn't have "SmugMug" in the url would provide results from MY website -- I would think that the Pro would want only results from their own website to be displayed -- and I would at least have liked attribution to me in the result (yes, I realize that the click thru would take the user to my website, still, it seems confusing.)

And you're right -- I'll have to rethink my keywording strategy (I already noticed this a long time ago when I captioned my daughter's first picture at the hospital after she was born and used the word "naked" -- sure got a lot of hits on that one.... :uhoh )
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    mkress65 wrote:
    Yep, pretty much what I was thinking. I was just surprised that the search feature on a website that didn't have "SmugMug" in the url would provide results from MY website -- I would think that the Pro would want only results from their own website to be displayed -- and I would at least have liked attribution to me in the result (yes, I realize that the click thru would take the user to my website, still, it seems confusing.)

And you're right -- I'll have to rethink my keywording strategy (I already noticed this a long time ago when I captioned my daughter's first picture at the hospital after she was born and used the word "naked" -- sure got a lot of hits on that one.... :uhoh )
    Tony Schreiber is a SmugMug pro user with his own domain name. He was probably searching for his own "katie" is my guess ;)