Options

Fort Morgan, Alabama

trossnageltrossnagel Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Journeys
Allright gang - I wanted to show off a bit. I had an incredible vacation to Fort Morgan, Alabama.

Trust me - while it may look like I am showing off - I am also sharing some valuable lessons learned.

First - check out these shots...

78391345-M.jpg

78406648-L.jpg

I have dreamed of catching a crane in this position - with the sunset only adding to the allure. This is an example of how digital helped me. In my rush to get the shot, I overexposed my first seven shots!!! I didn't realize it until I was able to glance down at my histogram...thankfully, I had the time to adjust and he didn't fly away.

And then there's this shot....

77317554-M.jpg

Here's the lesson learned on this one. We went to the fort for a tour - when we got there, I sweet talked the lady at the front desk, asking her where I should go for a really cool photo. She hesitated because she was about to send me to an area "off-limits". I used the line, "I'm a freelance photographer (which isn't a lie) and I think that, coupled with my gear and my sweet-talkin' got me to this great scene.

That's enough...just thought I would share some of my trip...for those of you who have read this far, I really do appreciate it.

Happy Shooting!
Todd

Comments

• Options
    trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Wow - that fist shot is just about to die for.
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    yeah - I completely agree - number one is a winner!

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2006
    thanks ross, thanks harris...

I personally think it's a bit on the dull side...but that's me being a perfectionist...
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Great shots Todd!

The first one is amazing with the sun setting. I love the effect of the second one - it seems to have a slight haze but I think it adds to the effect. Awesome job on the third - the lighting, color, and framing are perfect!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    Outstanding shots but tell us a bit more about your journey thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    shots.
    i really do like one... it's a winner in my book.....would like to see more....
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    i really do like one... it's a winner in my book.....would like to see more....

Here are three more shots...with the travelogue, Ian! (which I thought I included, but I guess it wasn't expansive enough ne_nau.gif )

Here's a decent shot:

78397448-M.jpg

Found this while driving to the condo where we were staying. It's actually a quite sad shot, considering the fact that these once vibrant trees were killed by Hurricane Katrina. The saltwater intrusion was just too much for these cypress trees to handle. This particular one was very close to the beach, but there were others farther inland that were killed.

CC Lockwood has made dead cypress trees along the Louisiana coast an artform - but in essense, they are also a statement of how our coastline in Louisiana is disappearing at a rapid rate, and in turn, that brings attention to the larger issue of hurricane protection.

Here's another shot - this is across the road of Fort Morgan, looking over the far western tip of Mobile Bay.

78397491-M.jpg

Notice again, the dead cypress. As I shot the scene, I wondered if the tree should be cloned out - I decided against. The scene was difficult to shoot on one account: mosquitos! (There were hundreds of them, literally hundreds, up my shirt, up my nose!, I will stop there!)

And finally - I PP'd the second shot of this post - what do you think?

82282777-M.jpg
  • Options
    THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    82282777-M.jpg

I Love It! Much better!thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • Options
    edited July 17, 2006
    Thanks Kevin!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    82282777-M.jpg

I Love It! Much better!thumb.gif

I concur. Great stuff.