First attempt with a macro

rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
edited July 15, 2006 in Holy Macro
Caught this bee in my flowers today.

81649414-L.jpg
Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer

Comments

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    For a first attempt I think you did pretty good, but if I may offer a few pointers...

1) Your image looks a little "hot" -if you are shooting in aperture or shutter priority set the exposure compensation on your camera to -2/3 and then bring the exposure up in Photoshop (or whatever image editing software you use). Under exposing will cause the colors to saturate and help to keep you from blowing out the highlights.

2) If you are going to shoot an insect then the eyes really need to be in the frame, and they have to be in sharp focus.

3) You've got a dust spot in the image -if you use Photoshop (or Elements) you can use the "healing brush" to rub it out.

Welcome to the addiction -I'll see you at the weekly macro shooters anonymous meetings... :D
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    rjpat wrote:
    Caught this bee in my flowers today.

Wow he looks to be a decent sized bee ....... I like the fluffy ones :D
    The ones found where I live are very sleek hardly any hairs, and similar to a wasp to look at.

It's not easy to do Macro, you did very well. clap.gif
    I see Dalantech replied to you already with some pointers, I would encourage you to keep trying, it is very addictive :D
    Keep posting......... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    thumb.gif Great 1st try
    Dalan's techniques can help you
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • almostlightheartedalmostlighthearted Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    i adore the colors!

which lens did you use?
    i have the sigma 105
  • phuongphuong Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    i think what dalantech means by "hot" is actually "too bright" in the sense that the lightest areas are way blown out.
    check the in camera histogram when you shoot to determine proper exposure. also if you use Canon gear dont hesitate to bump ISO up in trade for higher shutter speed and smaller apperture.
    last (but not least) use a flash if you can, to freeze the subject.

other than that, i really like the background :D (nice bokeh)
  • rjpatrjpat Registered Users Posts: 248 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Thanks for the comments guys.

I know the areas are blown, I did this on purpose to bring out the detail on the bee. I also know that you want the eyes to be the focal point but the shots with the eyes weren't sharp. This was the best of the bunch. I took this with a cheap Tamron 70-300 macro which I always have a hard time getting a good picture with, shot at 300mm in the macro mode (1:2). My next lens purchase is going to be a 100mm macro.
    Ron

We never know how something we say, do, or think today, will effect the lives of millions tomorrow....BJ Palmer