How to check number of actuations?

PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Cameras
I own a Canon 300D Digital Rebel. I am considering to buy a used 20D or 30D.

How can I check the number of actuations on each of these models, including my 300D (in case I decide to sell it).

I've heard there is no software or method to check the actuations on these models (but that there is on the 1D line) or that only Canon authorized technicians have the tools and know-how to check.

However, I see many people who are selling these models used and they include the number of actuations in their advertisements.

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    In some cases...
    PeterGar wrote:
    However, I see many people who are selling these models used and they include the number of actuations in their advertisements.

If your file numbering is set to continuos/sequential, there is a good chance that you can get it simply from the last image filename: IMG_012345 would mean you took 12,345 exposures.
    However, sometimes this sequence gets screwed up, so it does not always work ne_nau.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 15, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    If your file numbering is set to continuos/sequential, there is a good chance that you can get it simply from the last image filename: IMG_012345 would mean you took 12,345 exposures.
    However, sometimes this sequence gets screwed up, so it does not always work ne_nau.gif

HTH
    On both of the Canons I have (20D and A75) comtinuous numbering rolls over at 9999, so you have to keep track of how many times it has rolled over. I am not exaclty sure of this, but I think that the sequence got screwed up on day one with my 20D because I used a card that had been formatted and used previously on the A75.

I would bet anything that the real number is somewhere in all that manufacturer specific EXIF data. I keep hoping that someone clever will figure it out. I really can't figure out why Canon doesn't make this public. It's like building a car and encrypting the odometer. headscratch.gifscratch
    edited July 15, 2006
    Well,
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    On both of the Canons I have (20D and A75) comtinuous numbering rolls over at 9999, so you have to keep track of how many times it has rolled over.

Well, you can cut notches on your camera's body (just like the sharpshooters of yore did in their rifles to keep the bodycount) :D
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I would bet anything that the real number is somewhere in all that manufacturer specific EXIF data. I keep hoping that someone clever will figure it out. I really can't figure out why Canon doesn't make this public. It's like building a car and encrypting the odometer. headscratch.gifscratch

Yes, I agree, this is kinda strange..
    edited July 15, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, you can cut notches on your camera's body (just like the sharpshooters of yore did in their rifles to keep the bodycount) :D
    Man, Nik, you're really getting into the wild west thing. rolleyes1.gifrofl

Do the Canon shooters wear the white hats?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 15, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:

You have to ask??

You know they do!!:D :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited July 15, 2006
    And I can prove it!!!
    pathfinder wrote:
    You have to ask??

You know they do!!:D :D

Our very own Frozen Ann iloveyou.gif

72458335-L.jpg

Cheers! 1drink.gif
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hmm... no red stripe?headscratch.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
    edited July 16, 2006
    ultravox wrote:

That would have doubled the price. :D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Man, Nik, you're really getting into the wild west thing. rolleyes1.gifrofl

Com'on...RS you know they wear blk...but it is so blk that it seems white....rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Our very own Frozen Ann iloveyou.gif

72458335-L.jpg

Cheers! 1drink.gif

i see no camera and that thar hat aint white neither......kinda looks like a very dull shade of blk (grey).......rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• thwthw Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 16, 2006
    Getting back on topic.... :D

I asked Canon this question before and they told me they have the means to do this, but we won't be able to do it ourselves.
    edited July 16, 2006
    Sorry, had to look for one with a red stripe :-)
    ultravox wrote:

Canon L Hat:

82019489-L.jpg

By any chance I can interest somebody in mass production? mwink.gif
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    On the 20D my first rollover started a file directory to be started with a 2 on the flash card.

I'm nearing the second rollover, and I'm guessing the folder will start with a 3. If so, to get the count I would just subtract one from the startng number of the folder and place that number in front of the picture number for the actual count.