he's no angel

glowbellyglowbelly Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited July 15, 2006 in People
would a tighter crop be better here? ALL comments and critiques welcomed and encouraged. thanks :)

81484835-L.jpg

Comments

• OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    dont know about a tighter crop but bit more detail here and there would be nice.
    not particularly liking the way its framed.. (bunch) more negative space in front of the boy would be nice.

very nice nonetheless

mind sharing how you got this look?
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    yes, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell us how you got this look!!!! exif data and photoshop techniques used?!

Personally, I think this is an amazing and AMAZINGLY interesting photo! GREAT job!!!

Thanks for sharing, and I hope to be able to thank you for the technique! :D

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • glowbellyglowbelly Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    i don't mind sharing techniques! it was a slightly underexposed raw file. i bumped up the exposure in raw shooter essentials +3 and desaturated the file. i pumped up the fill light a bit to keep the texture in the hair. converted to tiff and pulled into photoshop. there i cropped, added a auto curves adjustment layer. painted his eyes back in cause they were too dark after that. umm, then a brightness/contrast adjustment layer to lighten the background a bit more. a little dodge on the left to lighten the background even more on that side. usm on a duplicate layer mask and voila.
    edited July 14, 2006
    wow...whenever I have a photo even close to that - - - how 'bout I just send it your way and you can do all that...? lol. sounds complicated headscratch.gif
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
    edited July 14, 2006
    haha! how about when you get one you want to experiment with, you send me a pm, and i'll try to walk you through it? it's not as hard as it sounds, really. it's just becoming familiar with the software. :)

edit: you'll be happy to know that this was shot with the 50mm 1.8 lens that it looks like you've ordered.
    edited July 14, 2006
    glowbelly wrote:
    haha! how about when you get one you want to experiment with, you send me a pm, and i'll try to walk you through it? it's not as hard as it sounds, really. it's just becoming familiar with the software. :)

edit: you'll be happy to know that this was shot with the 50mm 1.8 lens that it looks like you've ordered.

that would be GREAT! however, might be a while before I can find a cute kid to take pictures of...but until then, I won't forget your generous offer!

and I can't wait to get my lenses and try them out! I'm so excited about everything!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    glowbelly wrote:
    would a tighter crop be better here?
    It's a terrific image, but I think a tighter crop would improve it even further. Like this, maybe?

81702837-L.jpg
    edited July 14, 2006
    It's a terrific image, but I think a tighter crop would improve it even further. Like this, maybe?

81702837-L.jpg

then all of his wonderfully curly hair is....gone?!

btw, glowbelly, what was the background?

- Ross
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
    edited July 14, 2006
    ww, i really like that crop, but concur with ross about missing his curls. then again, i'm his mommy so i'm biased about those curls. i fight for their survival everyday, as his father insists that they need to be cut off. ;)

ross, it was just a gray wood porch. i didn't shoot the picture with the intent of doing this to it. i just saw it's potential in post-processing and ran with it. i think if i was going to shoot for this, i would have used a white background and some really high-key lighting. then i probably wouldn't have had to do as much post-processing in photoshop, but i may have lost the detail in his hair and shirt.
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    gorgeous, absolutely. I love it.

I have no idea what all that stuff is that you did to it, so there is no hope for me of replicating it (doh!)

Really love it. It might even inspire me to do that photoshop course to learn how!!!!

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
    edited July 15, 2006
    thank you!

photoshop is a wonderful tool and i would advise anyone to take a course just to explore the possibilities.