what happend?

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Cameras
i was out shooting lightning the other night and one of my shots came out particularly funny. i'm not sure if it has to do with the electricity in the air from it or what but heres the example...
81687432-L.jpg

all the rest came out fine:dunno
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    hmmmmmm
    shutter bounce?ne_nau.gif
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    Very interesting.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 14, 2006
    Dan,
    I am inclined to think this is shutter related also.

I believe the shutter curtains move across the sensor perpendicular to the long dimension of the frame. So a sticky shutter could give a similar picture. The think I find strange is the sharp discreet quality of the lines - shutter curtains do not move that fast usually ( even titanium ones) and would leave a slightly blurry edge.

I think I would submit this image and a letter to the Canon Factory Service Center in Jamesburg, New Jersey and ask them their opinion as to cause and significance. I'll bet they can tell you what it is.

Canon Factory Service Center
    Canon USA
    100 Jamesburg Road
    Jamesburg, New Jersey 08831

They will probably respond fairly quickly. I had a shutter that was sticky on my 1DsMkll and it was replaced by them without question under warranty. I had a lighter streak along one edge of the frame at shutter speeds above 1/1000th

What was the shutter speed on this shot??

How many actuations do you have on your shutter?? You shoot with a 10D, don't you?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Dan,
    I am inclined to think this is shutter related also.

I believe the shutter curtains move across the sensor perpendicular to the long dimension of the frame. So a sticky shutter could give a similar picture. The think I find strange is the sharp discreet quality of the lines - shutter curtains do not move that fast usually ( even titanium ones) and would leave a slightly blurry edge.

I think I would submit this image and a letter to the Canon Factory Service Center in Jamesburg, New Jersey and ask them their opinion as to cause and significance. I'll bet they can tell you what it is.

Canon Factory Service Center
    Canon USA
    100 Jamesburg Road
    Jamesburg, New Jersey 08831

They will probably respond fairly quickly. I had a shutter that was sticky on my 1DsMkll and it was replaced by them without question under warranty. I had a lighter streak along one edge of the frame at shutter speeds above 1/1000th

What was the shutter speed on this shot??

How many actuations do you have on your shutter?? You shoot with a 10D, don't you?

15524779-Ti.gif

Yep, looks like your shutter is acting up Daniel. I'd take some test shots and see if it is happening regularly. Either way as Pathfinder said, a trip to the service center seems to be in order.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    ne_nau.gifall other shots since have come out just fine... i think i'm at 11k for shutter count? and the 10D is out of warranty:uhoh
    Daniel Bauer

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    Shutter speed in the affected image??
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Shutter speed in the affected image??
    10 seconds if i remember right.
    Daniel Bauer

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    Daniel,

Since you were photographing lightning, it could be related to that. Some lightning is so short in duration that we humans don't even perceive it. If two flashes occured at just the right moment of shutter travel, it could cause this effect to happen.

Besides, the alternative, shutter failure, is just too sad to consider. Right?

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Hi Daniel,

I have seen something similar on one shot I took with my 20D as well. I hate to just pass it off as a quirk, but it has only happened once for me too. Over a month and a half ago. I have less than 10K shots on mine. Has anyone else had something similar?
    82474914-M.jpg

(click image for EXIF)

the three girls were all standing next to each other
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Daniel,

Since you were photographing lightning, it could be related to that. Some lightning is so short in duration that we humans don't even perceive it. If two flashes occured at just the right moment of shutter travel, it could cause this effect to happen.

Besides, the alternative, shutter failure, is just too sad to consider. Right?

Best,

ziggy53
    very interesting, Ziggy. You so smaht! :D

good luck Daniel, hope its not a big shutter problem.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    Hi Daniel,

I have seen something similar on one shot I took with my 20D as well. I hate to just pass it off as a quirk, but it has only happened once for me too. Over a month and a half ago. I have less than 10K shots on mine. Has anyone else had something similar?

the three girls were all standing next to each other

Jim, this may be memory card glitch/failure/brainfart.ne_nau.gif I have had the same thing happen to me on my fuji and nikon cameras. Happens rarely and card works fine after formatting. Usually happens when making long exposures...
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    spudjer wrote:
    Jim, this may be memory card glitch/failure/brainfart.ne_nau.gif I have had the same thing happen to me on my fuji and nikon cameras. Happens rarely and card works fine after formatting. Usually happens when making long exposures...

Thanks, I hoped so (and assumed so). So far, it has only happened once.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos