I have a dilema

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited July 16, 2006 in People
Usually I am very forward with photographs I take an publish on the Internet. However, yesterday I took a photograph, which I have huge dilema with. The photograph depicts a man, presumably homeless, sleeping on a park bench. The man's belly is naked and due to its size quite distaestful.

Now, would you would you not publish such photo if you would know upfront it will cause a considerable discomfort to many people who would view it.

Comments

• camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Usually I am very forward with photographs I take an publish on the Internet. However, yesterday I took a photograph, which I have huge dilema with. The photograph depicts a man, presumably homeless, sleeping on a park bench. The man's belly is naked and due to its size quite distaestful.

Now, would you would you not publish such photo if you would know upfront it will cause a considerable discomfort to many people who would view it.

I would treat it as a NWS photo and put it behind a link with a warning.
  • AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    So you're basically asking if anyone will be offended by a photo of an overweight man?

I say post it - if *you* feel comfortable doing it. It's not as if you are posting pictures of a nude, overweight person. Sure a large belly can be considered "gross," as flab is not generally considered attractive, but people are people. I don't think a man's bare stomach is against most people's morals - myself included, as someone who is not in favor of nude photography.
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 15, 2006
    Sounds like you're already uncomfortable with the photo yourself. What benefit would displaying that photo give you or others?

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    OK, I'll place it outside of my normal gallery. I guess dgrin community has enough sense to judge it for what it is.

Warning the following link leads to an image, which may disturb some viewers.
    It is not an adult photograph but certainly requires maturity.
    Belly
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    David, the answer is quite simple - not everything we see is suger coated. It is just in terms of my photography these less "pleasing" captures are new experiences.

David_S85 wrote:
    Sounds like you're already uncomfortable with the photo yourself. What benefit would displaying that photo give you or others?
  • Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Ted - I think it's a great capture ... thought worthy ... makes you wonder what life has served this guy (no pun intended!) ... I don't find it distasteful, just a picture of reality, and sometimes reality isn't kittens and babies.

I like it a lot. well done. clap.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • glowbellyglowbelly Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    i agree with head in the clouds. it's a wonderful capture of something real.
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Ted - I can see your concern - it could be taken two different ways depending on how the person "sees" it.

But, when I looked at the image, my heart sank, emotions started flowing, and thoughts just flew through my mind.

Very intense photo!thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • athosathos Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    we have become a society that is too sheltered from reality when that shot becomes unacceptable yet all the pop trash you see on tv is ok.
    www.simplyathos.com

Gear
    *Canon 40D: 17-55IS - 70-300IS - 100mm Macro - Sigma 10-20EX
    *Imagination