Options

Izabelle [Reflector tryout] *Heavy Post*

elfving73elfving73 Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
edited July 17, 2006 in People
Howdy friends!

Bought myself a Interfit 5 in 1 reflector kit, transparent, white, silver, gold and black, 107 cm a few days ago. Took it out for a little casual tryout yesterday snapping a few pictures of Izabelle. Although not working with it very much yet, I know this was one of the better photo gear purchase I've done in a long time. Wow! When I bought my speedlite, I felt that I had crossed an "before/after"-point in my photography, it really took it to another level - and this is how I felt when trying out the reflector. The effect is awesome! I instantly knew that I prefer working with reflectors compare to flashes. It's more predictable, W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. if you expose correctly, of course! ;o)
Now, remember - when I snapped these pics, I had my two sons with me running around, I held the camera in my right hand, the reflector in the other and it was blowing rather much, so I couldn't give it a fair try. It was flipping-flapping in my hand like crazy! Good that no one, except Iza, saw me (that's what I like to believe anyway!) *Hahaha* I must have looked funny!

I gave white and silver a go too, but I guess I'm already addicted to the lovely warmth of the gold reflector.

Regards / Matty

81829307-O.jpg

81769065-O.jpg

81829323-O.jpg

81829258-O.jpg

81829235-O.jpg

81829349-O.jpg

81829285-O.jpg

81769112-O.jpg

Just for comparison - this is shot without reflector:

81831653-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Even without the reflector Izabella is beautiful

I love #1,2,4,5 really good work
    The reflector makes a big difference

Thanks Matty
    Fred
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    Matty,
    I enjoyed it a lot.thumb.gif

Now, do you have a picture for the reflector (or even better, you shooting with reflector?)? I mean, come on, and the "da brozers" series you sure as hell can take picture of yourself taking picture of Iza while your other clon holding the reflector...rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thank you, Fred! I'll pass that on to her! :):
    Yes, reflectors are great, I think my next purchase will be a larger, rectangular one, for full-body pics. Guess it's time to begin looking around for a photo assistants to hold my reflectors, that work for free! :D

Matty

USAIR wrote:
    Even without the reflector Izabella is beautiful

I love #1,2,4,5 really good work
    The reflector makes a big difference

Thanks Matty
    Fred
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thank you, Nikolai!
    Haha! Hmm.. nope! Don't have any pics of me using the reflector! Hmm... perhaps that could be a fun shot - amusing and educational? :):

But here is a pic of the kit. Not the same brand, but exactly the same kit. I paid 107,72 USD (800 kr) for the kit. Rather expensive for some peace of fabrics, but in the end I think it's worth it. I bought it in store, if you order the kit on the net, you can get it much cheaper.

Matty

This is what the kit look like:
    http://www.scandinavianphoto.se/popups/hires.aspx?itemid=1558524

Nikolai wrote:
    I enjoyed it a lot.thumb.gif

Now, do you have a picture for the reflector (or even better, you shooting with reflector?)? I mean, come on, and the "da brozers" series you sure as hell can take picture of yourself taking picture of Iza while your other clon holding the reflector...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thanks, Matty!
    elfving73 wrote:
    Thank you, Nikolai!
    Haha! Hmm.. nope! Don't have any pics of me using the reflector! Hmm... perhaps that could be a fun shot - amusing and educational? :):

In fact, you need to take a picture of yourself shooting yourself while two of you holding a couple of reflectors and another one checks the light with a lightmeter. And of course, you can go all matrix-2 and just have a few dozens of you in the background observing the whole thing..:D
    elfving73 wrote:

Thanks, man!
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Really great shots....I went from using white umbrellas to almost exclusively using my gold umbreall for the armth it projects...looks like I might need to get a set of reflectors for the outdoors shots also....

BTW for assistants....well use your....sons......:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Matty,
    I do like your pictures and the use of the reflectors gives a very useful W.Y.S.I.W.Y.G. mode.
    Excuse me but there is one thing I don't like that much. And that is how strong the reflector(s) are present in the pictures...
    She is "blinded" by the power of the reflector in this one
    81769112-O.jpg

On the 3.ed picture we can see that the spot is centered. I think that can be improved.
    Too strong in the center and too dark in the corners ...

81829323-O.jpg
    My proposal is: use the reflectors in a soft way. Equally in all the picture...

Don't get mad at me because I said this about your beautifull pictures.
    Have a nice sunday . thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thanx Art!
    Great, then I'm not the only one around that just love the "gold effect". thumb.gif:):
    Haha! Well, Liam is 2,5 year and Elliot is 14 months, I think it could turn out rathre chaotic! :D

Matty
    Art Scott wrote:
    Really great shots....I went from using white umbrellas to almost exclusively using my gold umbreall for the armth it projects...looks like I might need to get a set of reflectors for the outdoors shots also....

BTW for assistants....well use your....sons......:D
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hey Antonio! No! Haha! I don't get mad over a little critisism! :): I agree with you, but I quote myself: "Now, remember - when I snapped these pics, I had my two sons with me running around, I held the camera in my right hand, the reflector in the other and it was blowing rather much, so I couldn't give it a fair try."

It was just a quick tryout - I had my children with me (Liam 2,5 year, Elliot 14 months) and the terrain was quite hazardous so I had to keep track of them, hold the reflector and shoot at the same time. That way, I couldn't use the reflector in another way than rather close and from below. If I had had a stand and a holder, or a assistant then I would have backed off with the reflector to make the light less intense and a little softer, and used it from a higher angle. :):

Matty
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Matty
    Obrigado by the anwser.
    One of these days Gary gave me the ideia of photographing the existing churches of Setubal, where I was born and I have been living.
    I have talked to a priest of a church and he agrees that I shoot (pictures) on the church.
    The church is rather larger than this one
    79972029-Th.jpg

and it has much less light.
    At least it is what seemed to me the day I was there.
    Your reflectors gave me the ideia: use reflectors inside the church.

The priest is colaborative. I'll have not only the natural light available but also the lights and candals. A luxury. :):
    I saw - shame on me because I had never been to this church and I lived nearby + or - 20 years - that there is a lot of wood carving from the XXII or XXIII Century but they are rather "hidden" ...
    The priest also said that he will produce sensorship on some photos because he is afraid of robbery.
    In Portugal there have been mahy robberies on antiques from churches ...

Saúde.
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Antonio,
    About your church project: you actually do "not" want any reflectors or lights (candles may be fine since they add to la mystique:-).
    What you need is a good tripod, wide lens and a remote trigger with bulb capabilities (you can get one on ebay for ~$15, look for ADIDT canon remote, 20D or 30D does not matter).
    You'll be amazed what a long exposure and a decent digicam can do in what seems to be a light-less environment....:D
    Of course, shooting RAW and making bracketed/multiple exposures to eliminate the noise is sincerely recommended..mwink.gif

Of course, you can go wild with hidden light sources, etc, but let me tell ya: I know a person who did this for a living (shooting large dark architectural wonders). He told me that their crew of four (all pros) used to spend *days* setting all those lights. I don't remember exact number of lights they had (20? 30? 50?), but it was well beyond my current budget and abilities to arrange on my own... ne_nau.gif

HTH
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    As I did not know what ADIDT was I googled and: http://photonotes.org/reviews/adidt-remote/
    Now I know what it is as well as your ideia: it is not to shake the camera, right ?
    Let me tell you that my ideia was not to spend much money on reflectors because I thought I could be using the sheets from the bed rolleyes1.gif!
    I do have the tripod and I am intending to use it.
    I have even asked the priest if he could burn some thing like insense or so.
    The smoke would give me a mood with the available rays of light. If any.

I was also thinking to shoot with hight ISO (1600 ) because I'll have the ideia that 3200 ISO produces too much noise with the 20D.

I have the 16~35mm which is very good for this.
    For the wood pieces I have the 24~70mm and the 70~200mm eventually... to be near ...

As usual Nikolai I have to say "obrigado" for your concern and attention.
    Saúde thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Antonio,
    NO!!! Nada! Net! Non! Nein!
    Forget ISO 1600.
    You're shooting ISO 100. Period. Tripod and remote are your friends.

Smoke is a cool idea, especially if the light sources are small and you can get the light beams from the side. Remember the mantra: light accross :):

16-35 is probably good for this (I'd shoot with 10-22, but that's me:-).
    You do want to step it down to f/10 or more, to get the details. You may also consider to shoot at hyperfocal distance.
    In any case, bring all your gear with you, you never know...

In case you don't have a light meter, scout the location and take a lot of test shots, to make sure you would know your exposure.

Once you're done with the "overall" shots and switch to pews and woodwork, you may wanna bring an external light source. Since the subject would be fairly small, it would not require you to bring 10,000 light sources, one will do just fine, so you'll manage. Just remember the mantra!

Good luck!
    As I did not know what ADIDT was I googled and: http://photonotes.org/reviews/adidt-remote/
    Now I know what it is as well as your ideia: it is not to shake the camera, right ?
    Let me tell you that my ideia was not to spend much money on reflectors because I thought I could be using the sheets from the bed rolleyes1.gif!
    I do have the tripod and I am intending to use it.
    I have even asked the priest if he could burn some thing like insense or so.
    The smoke would give me a mood with the available rays of light. If any.

I was also thinking to shoot with hight ISO (1600 ) because I'll have the ideia that 3200 ISO produces too much noise with the 20D.

I have the 16~35mm which is very good for this.
    For the wood pieces I have the 24~70mm and the 70~200mm eventually... to be near ...

As usual Nikolai I have to say "obrigado" for your concern and attention.
    Saúde thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    ISO 100 ?
    Man !... I believe you but I think it is too little. But if you say so, I'll do it.
    I ca'nt shoot without the priest beeing present.
    I could but I won't because if he catch em I will not be able to go again.
    So, forget it.
    But I'll go and try my father's light meter Zeiss we used with the Rolleicord, under another environment just to test.
    I'll remember the light and I'll get the ADIDT.

Obrigado. Muito obrigado.
    We have highjacked the post !!! Havn't we ?
    Hope Matty doesn't mind .... You don't do you Matty ? thumb.gif
    :D
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2006
    Antonio,
    With the long exposure ISO 100 is not as bad as you may thought of it.
    Try it at night in the dark corner (back alley? marina? garage? living room?) - you'll be surprised!

Priest is OK, so are other ppl - with the long exposure they will disappear or create ghost illusion that would add to la mystique. You can even enhance the effect by putting an ND filter on...

Tripod, lightmeter, remote, MLU, wide angle, f/10 or higher - you'll be fine!

HTH
    ISO 100 ?
    Man !... I believe you but I think it is too little. But if you say so, I'll do it.
    I ca'nt shoot without the priest beeing present.
    I could but I won't because if he catch em I will not be able to go again.
    So, forget it.
    But I'll go and try my father's light meter Zeiss we used with the Rolleicord, under another environment just to test.
    I'll remember the light and I'll get the ADIDT.

Obrigado. Muito obrigado.
    We have highjacked the post !!! Havn't we ?
    Hope Matty doesn't mind .... You don't do you Matty ? thumb.gif
    :D
  • Options
    Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I like the results, Mattias!
    Beautiful model, reflector, creative surroundings - what else do we need?
    Oh, forgot - good photographer :-)
    Spasibo,
    Yuri
  • Options
    NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Absolutely beautiful, Matty. Thanks for showing us the shot without the reflector -- it's easy to see why you love it. I love the gold tones and have put it on my wish list.

Btw, maybe you can try a reflector holder like this one?

Flexfill Holder for Reflectors

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/sitem/sku=17725&is=REG

Cheers,