Trip to Texas

THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
edited August 9, 2006 in Journeys
I just got back from spending a few days in Denton Texas for Business. The first day I drove a few hours and decided that it wasn't much different than Bakersfield, CA - flat and dry.

But, on the second day I decided to head to Oklahoma just for the heck of it and I soon realized that Texas wasn't about landscapes and beautiful scenery...but was more about historical landmarks, buildings, and farms.

I only had ~5 hours so I was pretty happy with the results.:D

Welcome to Texas! yeah.
81856857-L.jpg

Not sure what all the flags are...:dunno
81856870-L.jpg

While driving back from Oklahoma, I noticed a tall clock-tower in the middle of a small town next to the freeway - I had to check it out! As soon as I parked, some guy walked up and started telling me ALL about it - the people were so nice down there. They got a huge grant and were restoring it back to the original designs. Very beautiful!
81856899-L.jpg

81857120-L.jpg

81857260-L.jpg

I wanted to start a fire just so I could slide down the fire escape!:rofl
81857147-L.jpg

All the buildings downtown where historic...
81863024-L.jpg

The houses were just amazing!
81857311-L.jpg

I found this amazing church with huge stained-glass windows. It was closed so I was very disappointed I couldn't see the inside.
81857415-L.jpg

81857446-L.jpg

I think I overdid this one a little...:dunno
81857848-L.jpg

While I was photographing the outside, a man parked across the street,walked over and introduced himself. My prayers were answered - turned out that he was the groundskeeper and asked if I would like to see the Sanctuary!!! SWEET! This place was amazing...you don't find too many like this in California -
81857521-L.jpg

81857548-L.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have a tripod, and only had a few minutes so I tried my best to work with the lighting and keep the warmness of the place.
81857586-L.jpg

81857655-L.jpg

I just missed the cross in this one:wxwax
81857712-L.jpg

The stained glass windows were amazing! I was surprised how well the detail was in the print.
81857607-L.jpg

Here's the same window at 100% - ISO800
81867771-L.jpg

81857752-L.jpg

Another church just a couple blocks away...this one makes me sick!:puke
81857947-L.jpg

Can't leave without a barn shot...wish I had better sky
81858132-L.jpg

81858195-L.jpg

Thanks for viewing YA'LL!:jose (closest thing to a cowboy!:D) All the pics can be found HERE
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin

Comments

• rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    81856870-L.jpg

81857120-L.jpg

81863024-L.jpg

81857947-L.jpg

81858195-L.jpg

Those are definitely my favorite...especially the one with such a red church!!! WONDERFUL photos. great job!
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    Those are definitely my favorite...especially the one with such a red church!!! WONDERFUL photos. great job!

Thank you rosselliot! thumb.gif

This town was probably the best location I've had in a long time! I don't get to travel much:cry . I would have loved to stay several days in this town...Unfortunately, I only had a few hours.

Thanks again!:D
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 16, 2006
    Wow, sounds like a great trip. Great pics. Loved seeing the inside of the church.
    edited July 16, 2006
    Thanks Baldy! The church was amazing - I could have spent two day in it easily but I was thankful for the 10 minutes I actually got! thumb.gif
    Baldy wrote:
    Wow, sounds like a great trip. Great pics. Loved seeing the inside of the church.

- Kevin
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    great pix ..
    gainsville is a cool town .. there a lot of little towns like that in north texas... they are really picky about there town squares.. a lot of the towns have redid there squares most have a court house in the middle surrounded by a one way street ...great story .. you need to get back this way more there's lots more to see...
    edited July 17, 2006
    gainsville is a cool town .. there a lot of little towns like that in north texas... they are really picky about there town squares.. a lot of the towns have redid there squares most have a court house in the middle surrounded by a one way street ...great story .. you need to get back this way more there's lots more to see...

Thanks Curtis!

It was really shocking to see a town like this. We just don't have anything like that in California.

I did make it to Ardmore, OK! I stopped, had lunch at Applebee's, then turned back around. I've never heard so many people say Ya'll in my life!rolleyes1.gif Everyone is so nice and kickback in that area though. Made me realize how caotic California can be!umph.gif

I was interviewing for a traveling position. Hopefully I'll get to go there some more!

- Kevin
    edited July 17, 2006
    good luck...
    i am about an 1 1/2 hours north east of ardmore.. please don't judge OK by ardmore... it is a nasty town.. just my 2cents... if y'all get this way, y'all give me a holler..we'll russell up some viddles and go shoot sumthan...lolrolleyes1.gif enjoy the lingo...
    edited July 17, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

i am about an 1 1/2 hours north east of ardmore.. please don't judge OK by ardmore... it is a nasty town.. just my 2cents... if y'all get this way, y'all give me a holler..we'll russell up some viddles and go shoot sumthan...lolrolleyes1.gif enjoy the lingo...

- Kevin
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    You did a great job capturing the essence of Texas! I live in the Dallas area, and I don't get out to the smaller towns enough. There are so many beautiful things to shoot. I love the Churches around here. They are amazing, and there are tons of them. Glad to see you got a chance to visit some! :):

James
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Very nice shots! I especially like the church shots. I still can't do inside shots well.

BTW, the flags represent the 6 entities that have governed Texas; Spanish, French, Mexican, Republic of Texas, Confederacy and the U.S.
    edited July 20, 2006
    Thank you James!

I took all of my gear and almost went home with nothing until I saw this town on the last day! I would love to go back again and search for more of these towns!
    jamesl wrote:
    You did a great job capturing the essence of Texas! I live in the Dallas area, and I don't get out to the smaller towns enough. There are so many beautiful things to shoot. I love the Churches around here. They are amazing, and there are tons of them. Glad to see you got a chance to visit some! :):

James

- Kevin
    edited July 20, 2006
    Thank you Maestro! Church shots were my favorites as well - I'm very thankful the janitor showed up!

I got pretty lucky on the inside shots!:D The huge stained glass windows brought in a lot of light otherwise I probably would have been screwed.eek7.gif

Thanks for the info on the flags! That's very interesting that they show tribute to something like that. I'll have to put that info in the data.

Maestro wrote:
    Very nice shots! I especially like the church shots. I still can't do inside shots well.

BTW, the flags represent the 6 entities that have governed Texas; Spanish, French, Mexican, Republic of Texas, Confederacy and the U.S.

- Kevin
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Way-to-go Kevin. I also like the church images. But my favorite is the barn shot. thumb.gif

81858132-M.jpg

Erich
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    Great series, Kevin!
    Thank you for taking us to the trip! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 21, 2006
    erich6 wrote:
    Way-to-go Kevin. I also like the church images. But my favorite is the barn shot. thumb.gif

81858132-M.jpg

Erich

Thanks Erich!thumb.gif I almost didn't shoot it. It was just off the highway and I passed it on my way to OK so I figured I would stop on my way back. It caught my eye right away and there was a really cool rustic windmill next to it so I continued to ponder how I wanted to frame it. On the way back, I was worried about getting to the airport so I decided to keep driving.eek7.gif Couple miles down the road, I finally convinced myself that I would regret it! When I got there, the original shot I was thinking with the windmill AND the barn wouldn't frame up like I wanted, so I decided to shoot the barn anyways since I was there!thumb.gif

Glad I did!:D

- Kevin
    edited July 21, 2006
    Thanks Nik!thumb.gif No problem.:D
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you for taking us to the trip! thumb.gif

- Kevin
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2006
    HA! there's one good thing in ardmore.... Fireside Dinning Restaraunt at Lake Murray...

BEST PRIME RIB EVAR!!!! fantastic food
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
    edited July 23, 2006
    Awww...I wish I knew! I didn't feel like searching so I just stopped at the first decent restaurant I saw - Applebee's.ne_nau.gif

Dani wrote:
    HA! there's one good thing in ardmore.... Fireside Dinning Restaraunt at Lake Murray...

- Kevin
  • DaniDani Registered Users Posts: 807 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    Nothin wrong with Applebee's :)

Fireside is a bit out of town... if you ever find yourself headed back that way though... here's a page for you to bookmark
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Awww...I wish I knew! I didn't feel like searching so I just stopped at the first decent restaurant I saw - Applebee's.ne_nau.gif
    Dani

20D | 300D-IR | EF-S 10-22 | EF-S 18-55 | 50 f/1.8 II | 70-200 f/4L | 17-40L | Lensbaby 2.0 | 250D | 550ex | Gitzo 1257 | RRS BH-40 | RRS L-plates

The Blog | The Photos
    edited July 23, 2006
    Thanks Dani!thumb.gif
    Dani wrote:
    Nothin wrong with Applebee's :)

Fireside is a bit out of town... if you ever find yourself headed back that way though... here's a page for you to bookmark

- Kevin
    edited July 23, 2006
    Dani wrote:

i'm sure there are more than just one thing... just the few times i was there for any length of time just a lot of bad stuff going on...i would never dog my own state . but we do have our share of rif raff...:D :D
  • NappaloniaNappalonia Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    I know I'm late, but this is good stuff, love the inside of the churchthumb.gif
    http://nappalonia.smugmug.com/gallery/580776

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    20D :clap
    Canon
    18-55
    85 1.8 :wink
    Tamron
    28-75 2.8
    Sigma
    70-300 DG APO Macro
    30 1.4:thumb
    edited August 1, 2006
    Thank you Nappalonia! :D
    Nappalonia wrote:
    I know I'm late, but this is good stuff, love the inside of the churchthumb.gif

- Kevin
  • jerrykrjerrykr Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2006
    Hey Kevin,

You sure made my home town look good. It's always amazing that someone could get excited about a place that is so familiar.

Your shots sure do Gainesville justice.

I'm amazed that you didn't take a shot of the best Victorian house right across the street from First Pres Church. It is truly an outstanding house of the Cotton, Cattle, and Oil eras in Frontier Texas.

edited: Opps, I see you did get a shot of it in the gallery. That big old pecan tree is kind of in the way. Lots of trees up and down Denton St.

First Pres is a pretty neat church, but there are really a lot of them in Gainesville. Our church choir used to trade off with them, so, I have sang (sung?) in that church a number of times. The pipe organ is really something to hear, the low notes will shake you to the core.

If you are ever back to Denton, and travel back up to G-ville, do yourself a favor and travel west 4 miles on Hwy 82 to Lindsay, Tx. If you liked First Pres, you will be floored by St Peter's Catholic in Lindsay. It is unlike anything you have ever seen, unless you happened to have visited the "Painted Churches" in south Texas.

Travel another 8 miles west to another German community, Muenster. Their church is great, but much more modern in design. The German food and culture out there are wonderful, and very accomodating to the visitor. I am distantly related to about every 3rd person in Muenster. :):

Thanks for the pictorial visit to my Home. I need to get back up there again soon.

-=- Jerry -=-
    /*
    -=- Jerry -=-
    For Comprehensive info on Infrared Photography.

Visit my Site - Infrared Photography Buzz
    edited August 9, 2006
    Wow Jerry! That's so cool! What are the chances of that!?

I would have loved to spend a few days in that area, Unfortunately, I only had a few days.:cry

I declined the job so I don't think I'll be heading that way anytime soon. I'll be sure to keep those areas on my list though!

BTW - Welcome to Dgrin!:D

jerrykr wrote:
    Hey Kevin,

You sure made my home town look good. It's always amazing that someone could get excited about a place that is so familiar.

Your shots sure do Gainesville justice.

I'm amazed that you didn't take a shot of the best Victorian house right across the street from First Pres Church. It is truly an outstanding house of the Cotton, Cattle, and Oil eras in Frontier Texas.

edited: Opps, I see you did get a shot of it in the gallery. That big old pecan tree is kind of in the way. Lots of trees up and down Denton St.

First Pres is a pretty neat church, but there are really a lot of them in Gainesville. Our church choir used to trade off with them, so, I have sang (sung?) in that church a number of times. The pipe organ is really something to hear, the low notes will shake you to the core.

If you are ever back to Denton, and travel back up to G-ville, do yourself a favor and travel west 4 miles on Hwy 82 to Lindsay, Tx. If you liked First Pres, you will be floored by St Peter's Catholic in Lindsay. It is unlike anything you have ever seen, unless you happened to have visited the "Painted Churches" in south Texas.

Travel another 8 miles west to another German community, Muenster. Their church is great, but much more modern in design. The German food and culture out there are wonderful, and very accomodating to the visitor. I am distantly related to about every 3rd person in Muenster. :):

Thanks for the pictorial visit to my Home. I need to get back up there again soon.

-=- Jerry -=-
    /*

- Kevin