Caption corruption?

tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited July 16, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Last night I uploaded about 160 photos with StarExplorer and noticed one of them has garbage in the caption area. I remember a long while back I found some photos that had no captions suddenly gain captions like this.

This is the photo that has the bad caption

I figured I post it here before I delete the caption or the photo...

Thanks

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hi Tony,

Check with Nik - at www.starexplorer.com because something's happening there. I opened your file in photoshop, saved as a new name, and it uploaded normally. All using Photoshop CS2.

http://adejoie.smugmug.com/gallery/1585794/1/81952510

1st photo - just reuploaded yours again
    2nd photo - opened in ps, saved as, with no caption
    3rd photo - added my caption in ps and uploaded

K?
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Andy,

The photo that you just reloaded again has the same corrupt caption info.

I uploaded the same image with the smugmug recommended uploader and with the ActiveX (IE) uploader and they both had garbage in the caption.

The photo causing troubles was created using Adobe Camera Raw (v3.4) within CS2. The jpg wasn't touched after creating it in ACR.

This rules out StarExplorer, not sure I understand why there is caption info since it is just a JPG file. Could smugmug be somehow handling this file incorrectly? (has the look of a software buffer overflow to me)

The 3 uploads I tried are here

1st - new version of starexplorer, 2nd - recommended smugmug uploader, 3rd - IE ActiveX uploader

Thanks
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hi Tony

This http://adejoie.smugmug.com/gallery/1585794/1/81952510/Medium is the file I uploaded, no corruption. Opened in PS CS2, used save as, and uploaded with the Universal Drag and Drop.

ne_nau.gif