How to improve?

GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
edited February 5, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just wonder what thughts you might have on how to improve this shot.

Comments

• KC ActionKC Action Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Maybe a polarizing filter to make the clouds and sky more dramatic?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 4, 2004
    Ha! I was just reading John Shaw's Nature Photography last week and he uses Devil's tower to discuss horizontal/vertical composition. In his two examples, the horizontal one has the tower set off to the left and the horizon on the lower third to emphasize its size amongst its surroundings. In the vertical shot, its centered horizontally, but the horizon is toward the top third to emphasize how the green fields suddenly lead up to the top of the tower. A very cool example.

In any case, hard to visualize without his example shots.

So basically, my two cents based on that example - your composition doesn't tell much of a story. The tower just fills the whole frame.

Wish I could have the chance to shoot that sight myself though! Are you nearby?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ha! I was just reading John Shaw's Nature Photography last week and he uses Devil's tower to discuss horizontal/vertical composition. In his two examples, the horizontal one has the tower set off to the left and the horizon on the lower third to emphasize its size amongst its surroundings. In the vertical shot, its centered horizontally, but the horizon is toward the top third to emphasize how the green fields suddenly lead up to the top of the tower. A very cool example.

In any case, hard to visualize without his example shots.

So basically, my two cents based on that example - your composition doesn't tell much of a story. The tower just fills the whole frame.

Wish I could have the chance to shoot that sight myself though! Are you nearby?
    I live in Ohio, but drove by it on the way to Yellowstone. It was way out of the way, I was there at a bad time of day, the light wasnt very good. I wasnt happy with any of the shots I took.
  • knaryknary Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Is that a scanned photo or digital? (there's a small wedge of black in the bottom right)

Quick thoughts:
    1. there's not much tonal range, so the picture lacks Punch
    2. perhaps meter a bit more off the sky, thus pushing the darks a bit darker and giving more detail and color to the sky
    3. What DoctorIt said. The composition doesn't tell a story.

The following is an old crappy scan of a so-so photo taken with a disposable camera. What I do like is how it emphasizes the absurdity of Devil's tower with the thrust of the tower contrasting the horizontal sweep of the foreground.

wy2.5.jpg
    edited February 4, 2004
    Its scanned from a slide, wow, good eyes, your right, i missed on the crop a little. I had to go back and look at the original. I need new glasses.
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2004
    Adjust the levels, sharpen a bit, and it pops right out. Can't do much about the composition, tho.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Just wonder what thughts you might have on how to improve this shot.

Where are the UFOs? They always make that thing look more dramatic.

:-)
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2004
    jimf wrote:
    Where are the UFOs? They always make that thing look more dramatic.

:-)
    I edited it out...thought it detracted from the composition. I put it back in just for you.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited February 5, 2004
    NOw thats funny

I think that is great.