Basket for newbies #2

judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited July 21, 2006 in Sports
Hi, Judah here again.
I went to the same spot this afternoon, it was semi-finals and final game time.
Took again a lot of pictures and I tried to get closer to the action.
Can you please comment? Thanks. Cheers. :):

82008372-L.jpg
82008370-L.jpg

82008373-L.jpg
Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
That saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found;
Was blind, but now I see.

http://judah.smugmug.com/

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hi Judah...I don't shoot these, so I'm no expert. But I can definitely see improvements each time you shoot! The 2nd shot is great (to me!), because you managed to capture the shooter's face and he is close to the net.....and you got the net!!!! Though probably not technically as good, I like the intensity of #1 even though you lost a foot. I like the composition and the closeness adds a feeling of action and being there. Good job! Oh, and your conversions are terrific! thumb.gif
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Hi Judah! wave.gif

Great actions shots. IMO - #2 is perfect, couldn't ask for a better shot. #1 has great action but it's always nice to have all their body parts in the frame. #3 is kind of subtle and has too much sky - going for the pivot as he turns to the left or right would have made the difference.

Keep up the good work! The more you shoot a particular sport, the more you can "predict" what's going to happen next. I sometimes find myself saying - "press the shutter" then I hesitate and miss the shot. Usually, if you wait for the action to happen, you've missed the opportunity!
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • xtnomadxtnomad Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    Great Shots
    15524779-Ti.gif
    xtnomad :wink
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2006
    I think these are better Judah, you've got a lot more facial expression and action in them. I agree w/ the other comments made, but keep at it and, as Touch said, the more you shoot a sport, the better able you'll be to time the action.

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • judahjudah Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Thanks to all of you for the nice comments!
    #1 is one of my favourite because is so close to the action. I know I cut off the feet, but even the head is not 100% in so to me it looks like a mistake on porpouse! :):
    #2 & #3 are both good in my opionion but lack that something special.
    Anyway, I realized that not being able to blur the background really make this picture nothing to write home about. I shot around 500something from all possible angle and always ended up with a lot of background distracting the view. Or maybe it's just my inexperience. :D

Thanks again. :):

edited July 17, 2006
    A quick one just to let you know that I made a big print of #2 (20x30cm) and my monitor calibration seems quite good. I'm very very happy! :):

• THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    judah wrote:
    ]I realized that not being able to blur the background really make this picture nothing to write home about. I shot around 500something from all possible angle and always ended up with a lot of background distracting the view. Or maybe it's just my inexperience.

Judah -

I'm not sure how everyone else does it but when I'm shooting sports, I always switch to Av (Canon) and set it at the lowest f-stop. You'll get the best possible blur and you'll always be at the highest shutter speed possible for the set ISO.

Keep it up!thumb.gif
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
    edited July 18, 2006
    THE TOUCH wrote:
    Judah -

I'm not sure how everyone else does it but when I'm shooting sports, I always switch to Av (Canon) and set it at the lowest f-stop. You'll get the best possible blur and you'll always be at the highest shutter speed possible for the set ISO.

Keep it up!thumb.gif

Hi Touch,
    I did the same, workin' at F3.2, sometimes 3.5 (depending on the focal lenght) but even with longer focal there was so way to blur the background. Is this a common problem with small sensor camera like mine (Fuji S5600)?
    The other problem is that I had to drop the ISO to 64 and still I was reaching the shutter speed limit (1/1000). Sunday (and especially Saturday) was very sunny and there was no way I could shoot at ISO 200. And I feared of closing the lense to a slower F stop because of the lack of blur. Oh...anyway....
    Thanks again. :):

• uncx1uncx1 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Hey Judah, I just thought I would share my basketball photos with you.

http://shop.evanpike.com/gallery/1680343/1/82802736

Sometimes you may want to consider using a longer lens and getting more close up shots. The wide angle is nice for the poster like shots but you should try using a long lens as well.

When I shoot basketball I usually have 2 cameras, one with wide angle and one lens that is usually 80-200.
    edited July 21, 2006
    uncx1 wrote:
    Hey Judah, I just thought I would share my basketball photos with you.

http://shop.evanpike.com/gallery/1680343/1/82802736

Sometimes you may want to consider using a longer lens and getting more close up shots. The wide angle is nice for the poster like shots but you should try using a long lens as well.

When I shoot basketball I usually have 2 cameras, one with wide angle and one lens that is usually 80-200.

Oh my, makes me want to quit! :cry
    Great shots. Really. I looked at my EXIFs and found out I was shooting between wide angle (37mm) and short tele (125mm), both in equivalent 35mm. I was very near the guys, standing o the fault line. Thanks for sharing your gallery, super inspiring. :):

• uncx1uncx1 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    judah wrote:
    Oh my, makes me want to quit! :cry
    Great shots. Really. I looked at my EXIFs and found out I was shooting between wide angle (37mm) and short tele (125mm), both in equivalent 35mm. I was very near the guys, standing o the fault line. Thanks for sharing your gallery, super inspiring. :):

haha thanks, but don't quit just yet! for just starting out your shots are good. also better athletes usually make for better photos.

about position, being on the fault line (we say baseline in the US) is where I always was but I would try to get towards the corner instead of close to the basket. good luck!