Burn Baby Burn.

jamismjamism Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
edited July 18, 2006 in People
my school holds a prairie burn every year... this was my best shot from it... i like it, a lot. tell me what you think. :dunno thanks.

danny3.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 17, 2006
    Nice portrait. Tight crop, nice light and burning stuff in the background.

What's the purpose of a prairie burn and what kind of school would
    sponser one?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Looks good. Be nice if had flames reflected in his spectacles!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • jamismjamism Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Looks good. Be nice if had flames reflected in his spectacles!

the fire is, this photo is kinda small so i dont know if that makes it harder to see but it looks great on a print..thumb.gif
  • trogloditetroglodite Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Looks like a cover photo, nice job!
    is now gone. i have no time for cliques and fan clubs.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    jamism wrote:
    the fire is, this photo is kinda small so i dont know if that makes it harder to see but it looks great on a print..thumb.gif
    Now that I look closely, I can see it!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    clap.gif nice job, but in this situation i think a wider crop would work better, to see more fire perhaps.
  • fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Nice portrait. Tight crop, nice light and burning stuff in the background.

What's the purpose of a prairie burn and what kind of school would
    sponser one?

I cannot speak for the school or why they would sponsor a burn. But I can tell you that burning is a natural process that prairies NEED to go through. The same as the wildlands and forests out west. It helps to get rid of all the crap that dies and then sits on top of the soil and doesn't go away. A burn will help regenerate the soil and let life start over. Some plants need fires to keep the process going. Some pine trees cone's will only open when subjected to high heat. And since that is where their seeds come from that is the only way to grow new ones. Forest fires burn off all of the dropped branhces, needles, cones, etc... Wildland fires burn off all of that brush that grows up and then dies because of drought and whatnot.

Unfortunately what has happened in a lot of places is that there is now what is called a wildland/ urban interface. This is where we have built houses, condos, hotels etc. in a wildland area. This is really the only reason that the fire dept will try and control a wildland or forest fire. The nice thing to remember though is that eventually the fire will go out (usually more dependant on the weather than on the fire dept.) as California has two great natural firebreaks, the ocean to the west and mountains/desert to the east.

Anyway I hope that helps.