Challenge 26 - Around my house

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
edited November 25, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi All,

This is my first official post here at Dgrin.

Here's a few photos from "around my house", we had an old Rayburn wood stove in our kitchen and I thought this would be a good subject.

Would be very interested in anyone's opinion or ideas on how to improve them....

DSC04973.jpg

DSC05016.jpg

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Head in the CloudsHead in the Clouds Registered Users Posts: 376 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    Hi David,
    I like your shots. The black and white suits it. I've done some shots of a slightly more 'modern' version appliance in my thread, but I think the old style is great.
    Perhaps come in closer, more of an angle and a nice depth of field to put more interest in it? ....
    Nice shots though, look forward to seeing more ! clap.gif

Canon EOS 30D
    Sigma 10-20
    Canon 75-300 f4-5.6
    Canon 18-55
    Canon 50 f1.8
    Canon 430EX
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2004
    Nice antique stove. I wonder what a shot of the entire front would look like.
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2004
    Welcome David,

I like your style with your B&W's. I lean more towards very high contrast B&W like this as well. Wondering if you have any more time to reshoot this stove. I would also like to see some more different angles. These two dont really grab me. This being a non photoshop challenge it makes you have to think alot more about the composition of your shots. I think you have that well in hand though. Cant wait to see some more.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 23, 2004
    Thanks Kate, Sandy and Mike for your comments.

I have been kinda busy on other stuff as well as struggling to find inspiration.

So I decided to attempt to be a bit creative, so here's my attempt....it's kinda out-there, btu would be interested in people's comments.

Thanks David

DSC05222.jpg
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2004
    Very creative, but it does not grab my attention. The inspiration comes in spurts, especially when other things pull at you. I am passionate about photography, but I am uninspired by my p & s camera.
  • Ben:::DBen:::D Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2004
    David,

I really like the first one. It DOES grab my attention. The grittiness of it and the high contrast BW are fabulous. It feels so much more "raw" than many of the other shots in the challenge so far. Nice work. Keep it up.

thumb.gif
  • miketaylor01miketaylor01 Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2004
    I think your first shot is still my favorite. please keep coming with the abstract stuff though. I do like that kind of work as well, this one just doesnt do much for me.
    Mike

Sigma SD9, SD14, and DP1
    http://miketaylor.giph.com