Help me decide...

boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
edited July 18, 2006 in Holy Macro
which one you like better better. I love this photo I took last year!

I had the first one printed on metallic paper and hung it on the wall but I did another version on the computer today
and changed the background to black. What works? What doesn't? I'm looking for help and comments please.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Comments

• retroretro Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I prefer the white background, seems to be more detail in the yellow parts.
    Nice work.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I agree about the white background.... helps bring out the color of the leaves too, and besides, sunflowers should be in a bright (sunny) environmentmwink.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • NanditaNandita Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    Hmm...I'm torn.

One the one hand I agree that sunflowers should be seen in a bright location.

On the other, the black background makes the flowers so much more dramatic. I love the way the yellow lights up.

Let us know what you decide.
    Cheers,
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I think the black is much easier on the eyes.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2006
    I was torn too until I read all your fine comments. 2 fer the white, 2 fer the black.

As much as I love the white background I still find myself going to the black background. As Nandita says..I love the way the yellow lights up. ME too.
    And Red Bull...thanks. I agree it's easier on the eyes.

And not to forget Frog Lady and retro...the sunflowers do belong in bright light and do show more detail.

So my decision is...have another print made with the black background and have the best of two worlds. clap.gif

Thanks everyone for the feedback...this was fun. :D
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Yellow on black headscratch.gif ... some might say it's too strong. Not me.
    clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
    edited July 18, 2006
    ultravox votes for black...yeah! clap.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    White i loved white
    in black few internal parts of flower look mixed with back ground in simple words they look like as holes in flower :cry
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    my try without permission
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Awais' concept is a sound one.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
    edited July 18, 2006
    White i loved white
    in black few internal parts of flower look mixed with back ground in simple words they look like as holes in flower :cry

Those "holes" in the flower are bee's which unfortunately don't show well here. I did much PP before I had the print made.

That's a very artsy feeling you gave the sunflowers... very nice.
    I like it. I wish our skies looked that that all the time. Thank you for showing me a different view. thumb.gif

boogie
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    flowers...
    i guess i am just wish-e-wash-e i think the white looks to blown out .. but black may be a little to gloom? have you considerd a light blue for a sky look ? just my .02
    edited July 18, 2006
    i guess i am just wish-e-wash-e i think the white looks to blown out .. but black may be a little to gloom? have you considerd a light blue for a sky look ? just my .02

Yes the sky was blown out but not on purpose...this image is exactly as I saw it. The sun was over the house to the right of my sunflowers, no clouds, no blue, nothing. Your .02 are well taken but I don't wish to add a blue sky cause there wasn't one. :D I kinda like the stark white.

You're not wish-e-wash-e and thanks for commenting. thumb.gif