PLEASE HELP ME!!!!! problem with new 30D

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited July 23, 2006 in Cameras
I just got my 30D in today, and I'm already having problems:

every so often, when I review the pictures that I've taken there's just a black square in between the pictures that I've taken. it's saved just like a picture and I can view it...but of course, it's just a black square. it's like it saved a BLANK picture. they also save to my computer that way too! what's going on?!?!?!?!

PLEASE help!!!!

- Ross
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    I just got my 30D in today, and I'm already having problems:

every so often, when I review the pictures that I've taken there's just a black square in between the pictures that I've taken. it's saved just like a picture and I can view it...but of course, it's just a black square. it's like it saved a BLANK picture. they also save to my computer that way too! what's going on?!?!?!?!

PLEASE help!!!!

- Ross

I don't have the 30D...yet, but the first thing I would check is if you are recording in RAW+jpg, because it may be that your computer doesn't know how to open the RAW file if you are....if that ain't it....NEVER MIND...eek7.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    but it saves it to the CF card that way too. it's not just the computer...

any other ideas?

I appreciate the response, nonetheless!

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Infiniti QX4
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    rosselliot wrote:
    but it saves it to the CF card that way too. it's not just the computer...

any other ideas?

I appreciate the response, nonetheless!

- RE

hmmmmmm....headscratch.gif That is weird. Good luck.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    are you messing with white balance at all between shots?

i only had mine do that once... but what it did, was take a white balance shot, and i was able to use that for whitebalancing in post or hte camera used it... something like that...

if that's not what it was doing, then mine is messed up too, but it's only done it once, and only after i changed my WB to a cloudy setting.

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • meewolfiemeewolfie Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Hey Ross,

Check out this discussion about the noise reduction feature. See the answer from Ziggy (the second entry in the thread).

Basically, he describes how if you have noise reduction turned on from the camera menu, the camera takes a regular picture followed by a black frame which it then uses to process out the noise (if I'm interpretting it correctly).

That could be what you are seeing. Check in your menu to see if noise reduction is turned on...

Mary
    Brecksville, Ohio
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I'm betting the noise reduction is on & those are the black frame shots being taken.
    edited July 18, 2006
    oh, y'all got my hopes up and I tried it....but no luck still doing the same dang thing!
    but now, it's actually different. before it was simultaneously saving two frames, one of the actual picture and the other of a black frame. not it's doing it differently, I take the picture - works fine. then I hit the shutter again and it focuses fine and dandy then I hit it all the way and it tries and it's like it fails to open all of the way and it's like it gets stuck. and there's another damn black frame. so now I'm really confused.
    any other ideas?

noise reduction is off and I'm on P mode. but it also does this in AUTO mode....

I've got B&H on speed dial waiting for another one - but I'd really like this one to work in the meantime! haha. I appreciate y'all's help so far. such good ideas...just not quite on the dot...

Thanks again,

any other ideas?

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Do you have Mirror Lock-Up on? Check in the custom functions settings to see if it is turned on. It sounds like from what you described with the shutter opening and "getting stuck" it might be Mirror lock-up.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited July 19, 2006
    gosh...not mirror lock up either.

I think I have a LEMON....UGH. guess I'll continue with my refund/exchange.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for all of y'all's help - I guess even y'all's professional abilities can't save this doomed camera.

Thanks again, friends,

- Rosselliot
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4
  • mrlartermrlarter Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited July 23, 2006
    are you sure your not taking a photo with the lens cap on? I know it may seem silly but often the simplest answer is the solution.
    Brian Larter
    brianlarter.com
    aperturestudios.ca

weapon of choice: Canon 40D
    BG-E2 Battery Grip
    50mm f/1.8 MK 1
    28-135mm IS USM f/3.5-5.6
    17-40mm L USM f/4.0
    edited July 23, 2006
    haha - yeah, I'm sure I didn't have the lens cap on. if that were the case, I'd have to be taking it on and off after every photo.

I got another one from B & H and it works perfectly - already sent my other one back!

thanks again for the assistance, I apprecaite it.

in order for no one to get the wrong message about the 30D or Canon or B & H photo, advisors can delete this thread - because I'm quite sure I just got a lemon, and I hate great experiences getting my new camera. I got great customer service from Canon - people who seemed like they really did want me to be happy and satisfied, and B&H sent me instructions on what to do and sent me a UPS tracking label and everything was great, and the 30D is an amazing camera (now) and it works and takes AMAZING photos. so no be turned away from canon, the 30D, or B&H - all great experiences (except for the first camera I got).

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Infiniti QX4