Options

Turbulence

Bell RingerBell Ringer Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 21, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all, I am a new dgrinner and this is my offering for Challenge 69.
Here goes. This photo was taken on 6/17/0682395229-L.jpg
Rudynikon

Comments

• Options
    CraisLoverCraisLover Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2006
    To bell ringer
    Very nice Bell Ringer. Love the color and the fact you caught water in the air.
  • Options
    Bell RingerBell Ringer Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Hello all, I am a new dgrinner and this is my offering for Challenge 69.
    Here goes. This photo was taken on 6/17/0682395229-L.jpg

Thanks CraisLover. I had to take a lot of shots just to get one to post.
    Rudynikon
  • Options
    OneWayMuleOneWayMule Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    bell -
    i find the framing doesnt work for what you want to portray and here's why:

i assume its the turbulence the falling water is causing on the small body of water that you wanted to capture, but we're seeing way more then that.
    The strong highlights in the background, the curving shape on the bottom of the frame is distracting.

Zooming in on the actual impact those drop are making would help convey the word. The falling water can be part of that story but they're blending in with the background so their role diminishes.

But i'm afraid the most important part of photography which is missing is the quality of light.
    NOT shooting on the shadow side would have been the first step.
    Rather shooting later in the day would have helped get softer, better light... and letting that light come from the side would have created beautiful highlights on the falling water & on the impact.

Keep in mind that side lighting (i.e. beach @ sunrise & sunset) is key to getting texture and becos water is already too smooth, this direction of light is crucial.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2006
    fells a bit uneven...a neat photo...
    is there any way you could retake it? I find the two humps in the bottom somewhat-centered a little...distracting. maybe you could take it from a higher angle and only get the column of the fountain and the water?
    that's a neat color of the fountain, though...where is that?
    also, the different lighting on the two sides is definitely distracting, yet not a ruiner for the photo.
    my .02.

great photo!!..just has a few things that make it ONE notch less than perfect....

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4