Poll: using "Helpies"

BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
edited July 19, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Helpies are the little orange question marks all over the site designed to make it quick and easy to figure out what a certain feature does. If you haven't ever seen or noticed them, go to the customize gallery page and look for the orange question marks. :)

So the questions are:

How useful are they to you?

How intuitive are they to you?

When did you first find them?
Smug since 2003

How do you use helpies (the little orange question marks)? 17 votes

I use them all the time
11% 2 votes
What are all those little orange question marks?
11% 2 votes
I use them occasionally to figure out new features
64% 11 votes
I used to use them, but forgot about them over time
5% 1 vote
other (please state below)
5% 1 vote

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I knew those little helpies since I joined smugmug 2 years ago and always use them to give me a better idea what a feature is all about. Back then they tended to hide between the form fields if I recall it correctly.

Having had another look at them for the poll I want to say that I really want what the helpy states about 'community appearance' (choice between smugmug and *my* customizations!)!

Apart from this I think the public helpy definately needs to say directly something about external links that they can undermine the (false) privacy if not turned off. I know you're referring to this by stating that it's not impossible to find the photos for people, but that's way to much of talking around the possible problem. Especially since you refer to add a password for additional security, but that's exactly the thing that won't help against the external link issue people need to be made aware of.

How about: "Public means that the gallery won't show up for visitors off your homepage and in search results, but you can still send the gallery link to friends so that they can see the photos. For additional security you can also associate a password to a private gallery.

Be aware of the external linking function that when turned let's people still link photos directly in message boards without regard to the privacy and password option."

I'm not happy with the second paragraph, but can't think of anything else now. The password helpy also needs to make people aware of the external linking.

I hope this is useful to you.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 18, 2006
    awesome, thats really good feedback. We can definitely make text changes. We were actually discussing what to change recently, which is why I wanted to get a better feel for how they are used.
    Smug since 2003
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I just use them to style them :D
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    They are very useful to me, and I love that I can just hover to read 'em and move on to, well, move on. :D I don't customize that much so when I do go to those screens I find that I need a refresher in what some terms actually mean.
  • pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    To be honest, I didn't even notice them, but sure enough they are there. Guess I'll have to pay more attention in the future as I could see them as being a handy reference.