Options

Telling the story...

ChuckMChuckM Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
edited July 19, 2006 in Technique
I'm relatively new to photography. The biggest critique I hear so far is about the picture "not telling a story". I think it is a very valid criticism.

The things I tend to photograph are things I like. "Oh, I like airplanes, I'll take a picture of that one", "that scene is pretty, I'll take a picture". Until now, my focus has been on technical execution. I have realized I need to improve my "story telling" to really make my shots sing. The shot can be technically perfect but it will be boring as hell if the composition is bad.

Any tips for developing my creative eye?

As an exercise... I am going to try to spend more time taking picture of things that don't necessarily interest me. I figure if I WORK to find an interesting image to capture, it should help develop my eye.

Thought from the pros?

Comments

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Rewire your brain
    It sounds silly, but once I felt like I had the technicals down, I switched my focus mentally by giving myself the goal for the year to "be more artistic". That was my new mantra and I repeated it often. I would tell people my goal this year is to me more artistic. I tried to keep that thought in my head as much as possible.

I think it worked in rewiring my brain. I still am on the same goal and don't think I will ever "graduate" mwink.gif

But it did help me break free from the technical side of things. I even have started having fun posting non-perfect photos in an attempt to tork-off the techno-shooters hehehe.

Now some pointers. Study great photography. Look at lots of photos every day. After some time, you will start to see paterns of things that you like, styles that speak to you. These are the areas for you to focus on for your own photography. And second, shoot what excites and interests you. Keep the spark alive. Don't shoot boring stuff.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Sort of on your track of thinking..and a simple exercise that just might help you. Find some objects that you think are pretty boring and uninteresting (ie. phone booth, lawn mower, gas pump, electrical meters etc.). Only use this simplistic and somewhat uninteresting item in general appearance. Look real close at the subject matter. Look at how the light interacts with the subject. Look at the subject from many different angles. (high above, underneath, eye level etc). Shoot dozens of shots of this mundane object with the idea of capturing something different and interesting. It may be quite a challenge..but there is ALWAYS some new or interesting way to shoot ANYTHING. Get in this habit and practice this often and it will become second nature and help you view ALL subjects in a new and perhaps exciting manner.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited July 18, 2006
    Thanks
    Thank you both for your replies.

I'm going to pickup Peterson's "Creativity" book. Are there any others where I may find inspiration?
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Heh, I just made this mental switch myself recently. I feel I have the technical basics down pretty well; while there's awlays something to learn I am not spending any more time setting the camera than it takes to push the buttons & spin the dials.

This thread is a very good read: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=6985
    I've been trying to do some of what's in there & what Bird Man suggested. It's a challenge & gets you looking at things differently.

I presume you mean this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0817441778/002-0751777-4431265?v=glance&n=283155
    It's excellent & I need to pull it back out & re-read it (again).
    I even have started having fun posting non-perfect photos in an attempt to tork-off the techno-shooters hehehe.
    Now that's just mean. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Thanks Chris. That is a great thread.

Yup, that is the book.

I didn't mean to imply I know every technical detail there is to know. I just feel I know enough to be taking better shots (from a creative standpoint) than I am now. I take the view that it is a journey that I may never reach the end of. I just want to take a few more steps forward with my photos from the creative side.

Thanks again.