Options

Bryce Canyon

StefStef Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 25, 2006 in Location, Location, Location!
OK... I know you all have some places that are "must" see places at Bryce Canyon.

DH and I will be making a trip up there for 3 days the end of August. A little R & R for our anniversary. I have ordered a few field guides and trail guides from Amazon, but what can you all recommend?

We will be there on a Saturday, Sunday and Monday...

(pray for no rain while we are there. .. even if it does rain though, it will be better than being at work!!! )

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    The obvious, of course: Sunrise Point at sunrise and Sunset Point at sunset--get there a little early to stake out a spot. Queen's Garden--and remember to turn around every five feet or so...

I don't recall the trail name, but there is a nice one that starts a little outside the park entrance & ends up meeting the main basin trails.

Also, Red Rock Canyon on the way in has some nice photo ops. Right at the cutout mini-tunnels with the wide parking areas on the highway.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Dgrin Shootout 2006 at Bryce: Threads
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=25634
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Since this was not mentioned
    IMHO, Bryce point beats Sunrise/Sunset points hands down. It's a tad longer drive, but the view is ...wow.

Also, if you take a longer Peekaboo loop, you'll be rewarded with a very nice hike and a not-so-often seen views.

Don't forget to drive all the way to the Rainbow point and stop at every vista on the way (there are like 5 or 6 of them). You can scout them all during the noon-time and decide which one you wanna shoot when the light becomes more dramatic...

I'm sure other folks pitch in with more particular places..

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    A great way to get through the flat light of midday is to spend it in Wall Street, where the slot-type walls need the midday sun for best shooting. Hiking farther on from there is beautiful, too.

Here's a link to my gallery from Bryce. If you have specific questions about any of the shots, I'll do my best to help you. If my memory serves me, that is!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    A great way to get through the flat light of midday is to spend it in Wall Street, where the slot-type walls need the midday sun for best shooting. Hiking farther on from there is beautiful, too.

Here's a link to my gallery from Bryce. If you have specific questions about any of the shots, I'll do my best to help you. If my memory serves me, that is!

Wow nice shots, Im there in September and really looking forward to it.
    quick question in this shot for example http://davidrosenthal.smugmug.com/gallery/1481043/1/71847596
    did you use a filter to get that shift of blue in the sky?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Wow nice shots, Im there in September and really looking forward to it.
    quick question in this shot for example http://davidrosenthal.smugmug.com/gallery/1481043/1/71847596
    did you use a filter to get that shift of blue in the sky?

I gotta say, I don't remember, but probably. What I do remember is that I brought the lightness down for the blue sky in post, using LAB and blend-if. Or maybe it was a layer mask? I *definitely* remember that I did *something* in post!
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Thanks Chris, Andy, Nik, David and Stustaff.

I appreciate the help.

Andy- I followed those posts when they first came up. That is why I am so excited to go. I really wanted to make the shoot-out, but alas work won out. (I hate being an adult with a jobrolleyes1.gif )

I hope to get shots even half as nice as you all got. Now I just have to wait...

BTW, how was Ruby's Inn? That is where we are staying.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Stef wrote:

Fine. You're kind of stuck with their food, but we made it through.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Fine. You're kind of stuck with their food, but we made it through.

Well that doesn't sound promising. Was it that bad?
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    Stef wrote:
    Well that doesn't sound promising. Was it that bad?

No, it just wasn't all that good, either, even though they charged for very good food.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, it just wasn't all that good, either, even though they charged for very good food.

:D I hate it when that happens.

Hopefully we will be able to find other places to eat. I know the Bryce lodge has a restaurant, but I think you have to have reservations. I may just check that out.

If nothing else, we will check out the surrounding area.... although by looking at the map, there doesn't seem to be too much around there. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited July 20, 2006
    Think Im staying at Bryce lodge. visiting so many places that im losing track!

Zion
    Bryce
    Lake powell
    Grand Canyon
    Arches
    Death valley
    Salt lake
    ect ect
    Am loving the idea of this forum ad going to have a nortebook filled with all the useful info in my camera bag.

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Another sample for you
    Nikolai wrote:
    Also, if you take a longer Peekaboo loop, you'll be rewarded with a very nice hike and a not-so-often seen views.

This is what I meant:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38574
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    Stef wrote:
    :D I hate it when that happens.

Hopefully we will be able to find other places to eat. I know the Bryce lodge has a restaurant, but I think you have to have reservations. I may just check that out.

If nothing else, we will check out the surrounding area.... although by looking at the map, there doesn't seem to be too much around there. headscratch.gif

They didn't when I went. We just wandered in & got seated, though I expect the normal meal times it's pretty packed. It is pretty remote, so not many choices, though I did like the food at the lodge.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited July 20, 2006
    The Bryce Lodge has better food, balanced with less variety. Dinner there requires a reservation. Breakfast and lunch are good and the price is right.

The lodge is on the left side of the access road, not far beyond the main gates to the park.

Ruby's food can be compared to a cafeteria with the option to order from their menu. Beware of the Pot Roast.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    The Bryce Lodge has better food, balanced with less variety. Dinner there requires a reservation. Breakfast and lunch are good and the price is right.

The lodge is on the left side of the access road, not far beyond the main gates to the park.

Ruby's food can be compared to a cafeteria with the option to order from their menu. Beware of the Pot Roast.

The buffet is slightly safer than the Pot Roast if you can identify everything your eating :)

The store at rubys has a ton of gatorade, water, and cliff bars if you need to restock.

I know this is a landscape group mostly, but there are prarie dogs, antelope, mule deer, mountain lions (cougars, pumas or whatever you call them locally) and elk and so forth to photograph.

I just went through arches, monument valley, and some other places on the way . These places really aren't that far from bryce if you want to drive around like the post shoot out crew.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    Stef wrote:

Note that the family that owns Ruby's Inn owns *everything* you see outside the park. The family had a ranch there before the park was created and they still own all of the land outside the park's entrance. Next door to Ruby's Inn is a decent fast food place.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Think Im staying at Bryce lodge. visiting so many places that im losing track!

Zion
    Bryce
    Lake powell
    Grand Canyon
    Arches
    Death valley
    Salt lake
    ect ect
    Am loving the idea of this forum ad going to have a nortebook filled with all the useful info in my camera bag.

I will be in Vegas on September 27, when are you going to be there?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2006
    Am in Vega itself until the 10th and then spending either two or three nights at most of the places listed so I think without looking its about 23 or 24th then driving up to yellowstone.

• Options
    edited August 14, 2006
    Thanks everyone for their input with this. Time is getting shorter (though not fast enough). I am ready to go now. I think I have it figured out, but more than likely all the plans will go out the window when I get there and I will just wing it, like normal. umph.gif
    I got myself some new hiking shoes and hopefully I don't kill myself out there. We are NOT hikers! But I want to take the Navajo Loop Trail, because of DavidTO's gorgeous pics. We will see how that goes. The elevation will be hard to get use to I'm sure.

Only 11 more days! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    Have a great time! looks like I will be following about a week behind you, try not to break anything :D

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited August 15, 2006
    Have fun!
    Stef, you're going to love it there. My new hiking shoes helped, but I learned they weren't all that necessary at Bryce; the public trails were easy to navigate. Zion was a different story though, so I'm glad I brought the new footware along on the trip. Have plenty of water with you -- at that altitude you'll get plenty thirsty.

Be prepared to shoot a lot of frames. Wake up before dawn a couple of the mornings, and get yourself to Bryce Point before everyone else.

You're going to have a great time there. Can't wait to see what you bring back.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    Have a great time! looks like I will be following about a week behind you, try not to break anything :D

I will try, but I am not making ANY promises! :D (who told you I was clumsy, anyway???? umph.gif )
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Stef, you're going to love it there. My new hiking shoes helped, but I learned they weren't all that necessary at Bryce; the public trails were easy to navigate. Zion was a different story though, so I'm glad I brought the new footware along on the trip. Have plenty of water with you -- at that altitude you'll get plenty thirsty.

Be prepared to shoot a lot of frames. Wake up before dawn a couple of the mornings, and get yourself to Bryce Point before everyone else.

You're going to have a great time there. Can't wait to see what you bring back.

Thanks for the tip about the shoes. I have to start wearing them around the house to see if I will even be able to wear them at all for any amount of time. If nothing else, they are really cute, so I will keep them anyway! iloveyou.gif

As far as shooting a lot. I have 3- 1 GB cards and 1 -512 MB card. I shoot only RAW, but my D50 is only 6MP so I can get about 130 pics per card. I also have my Epson P2000 and will be taking my laptop. Sheesh.. now that I think about it.. hmmm I think maybe I am over doing it. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    dancorderdancorder Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2006
    Stef wrote:
    Thanks for the tip about the shoes. I have to start wearing them around the house to see if I will even be able to wear them at all for any amount of time. If nothing else, they are really cute, so I will keep them anyway! iloveyou.gif

As far as shooting a lot. I have 3- 1 GB cards and 1 -512 MB card. I shoot only RAW, but my D50 is only 6MP so I can get about 130 pics per card. I also have my Epson P2000 and will be taking my laptop. Sheesh.. now that I think about it.. hmmm I think maybe I am over doing it. headscratch.gif

For what it's worth I've been using my D50 for RAW recently and have found that the shot counter seems very pessimistic. I haven't shot too much but when I have it's been more like 200 shots to a 1GB card.
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2006
    clap.gif Well today is the day. I am off to Bryce not long from now. Just have to finish up my work day. I can't believe I am so excited about this. Hope to be able to share some of my pictures (if they turn out ok, I'm still kinda new to this)

Can't wait!