Star trails and Building

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited July 19, 2006 in Holy Macro
Wanted to share my lastest creation:

82252518-L.jpg

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Oh, that's sweet! Nice job with everything, even lining up Polaris with the tip of the building - that's a nice touch. thumb.gif

Care to post details of the capture?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    eek7.gif superb work
    i saw this buliding when i was littel kid i remember it i loved it a lot iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Thanks Awais. It is a nice looking building. It sticks out (literally and figuratively) for many many miles away....or should I say kilometers? :-)
    eek7.gif superb work
    i saw this buliding when i was littel kid i remember it i loved it a lot iloveyou.gif
    edited July 18, 2006
    DJ I do have a confession with regard to this photo.

I called it a "creation" because it is actually two shots. One of polaris and one of just the building. I wanted this shot for a project I'm doing but getting the shot in real life is impossible. First, this shot is of the building looking SOUTH where there is a level horizon. Two, too many lights would wash out any chance of getting this photo. And third, this is the chapel at the Unted Stated Air Force Academy and I do not have access to the building during the hours I would need to make the shot. And finally, if I would take the shot looking to the north with polaris placed at the tip, I would get the looming shadows of the front range Rocky mountains in the background.

So-- it is a composite and it is the next addition to my project which involves putting a photo to every phrase of the US National Anthem. This one will be titled "Gave proof through the night" (followed by the next pic, "that our flag was still there").

So I hope no one feels tricked because it was not my intention. But I really enjoy the photo and thought I'd share.

I think I would like to change the photo a bit, though, to include the entire Church-- the low right is cut out. The photo of polaris was taken in the winter time-- thanksgiving night, actually-- and it is roughly 3300 seconds long exposure. The pic of the church was taken on July 4 2006, using the highest f-stop my lens could muster to keep the pic dark but crisp. The blue was adjusted slightly to more closely match the polaris shot. The rest, as they say, is photoshop :-)

Thank you.
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Oh, that's sweet! Nice job with everything, even lining up Polaris with the tip of the building - that's a nice touch. thumb.gif

Care to post details of the capture?
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Well, I'm not a purist by any means, I think you did a great job with this. I was going to mention the corner of the building it's very nit-picky so I didn't. :D

Please post the rest or a link to the finished product when you are done, judging by this image it will be very nice.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    davidryan wrote:
    Wanted to share my lastest creation:

Good Heavens ! That is soooooooooo Cool clap.gif
    Gawwwd, looks Sci-Fi even.

Excellent David ...... I really like that ....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    I think it's a great creation.

Sam
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    wow !!!
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif that is way cool .. i don't care if it is fabricated.. exceptional tech. and work to get results .. and yes let us see more finished stuff....
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2006
    Ryan...this is superb. The different shades of blue are outstanding and I think you are right to include the whole church. Excellent work. thumb.gif
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited July 18, 2006
    Superb photo (er, creation) there Ryan. Great composition, execution, and editing. You deserve a bunch of these: thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited July 19, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Superb photo (er, creation) there Ryan. Great composition, execution, and editing. You deserve a bunch of these: thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Thanks every one. I appreciate the time you took to look and comment. I was compelled to fix the issue I felt this pic had-- the cutting off of the church. So here it is...pushed a little further in by making the church pic smaller by only 10% less. This gave me the room I needed to get the whole building in.

82584044-L.jpg
  • boogieboogie Registered Users Posts: 553 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Composition complete. Perfect!clap.gif
  • THE TOUCHTHE TOUCH Registered Users Posts: 535 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    CHEATER! Just Kidding rolleyes1.gif

You did a great job! Much better on the second.thumb.gif
    davidryan wrote:
    82584044-S.jpg
    Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein :bash

- Kevin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 19, 2006
    I like this composition a lot thumb.gif

If I'm not mistaken, it is the AF Chapel in Colorado Springs?

Regardless. Very nice!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited July 19, 2006
    Van Gogh meets Star Trek. Brilliant. clap.gifclapclap.gif

Regards,
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Something different...i love it thumb.gif
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2006
    Love the creation guess that makes you the creator ?

Fred
    edited July 19, 2006
    I dig it. It might no be a true photo anymore but it is art. Nice work.
    edited July 19, 2006
    2nd try
    i like the second one as well . it add to the enormous scale of the sky ..great stuff...clap.gif
    edited July 19, 2006
    To everyone...
    thanks everyone for the comments, critiques and help. As one gets to know me, they quickly find out that once I find something I like and can invision building upon-- well it becomes a focus for me. So with that said I'm going to contact the appropriate authorities at the Academy (thankfully I'm able to get onto DoD installations anyway) and make the real deal-- or die trying rolleyes1.gifNot sure when I'll be able to do it or even if it is possible (light pollution) but I'll let you know how it goes!